Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, my husband rides and I wouldn't have it any other way! In fact, I had pretty much given up on riding street bikes until I met him and he rekindled my desire, thank goodness. A boyfriend I had convinced me I couldn't handle a street bike and I'm not sure why I let him convince me of that but when I got together with TJ, he told me he'd get me a bike but only if I took a course and got my license first. I was there! I rode around on the back of his SuperHawk for almost a year and that so-called passenger seat just isn't made for ANY butt, much less mine and I had to have my own bike. I adore having a husband that rides and we have so much fun riding together. He always kind of watches out for me but doesn't let me hold him back from having fun either.

And he loves having a wife that rides, too. The only drawback according to him is looking in his mirror and not seeing me there for whatever reason or seeing someone cut in front of me or something. Says that scares him. And he just happened to be looking back at me when I had my wreck last year and saw me go down and said that was the scariest moment of his life. He also says he wouldn't want to think of having a wife that didn't ride at this point.

Now, on the other side of the coin, I have seen some women that don't want to ride their own bike and their hubby has pressured them into it and that is not a good thing. I think if a "significant other" WANTS to ride it can be good but if they feel forced into it, that is a very dangerous thing. Just my opinion.

I plan on keeping my husband for the duration, so guess that means I'll always have to have a sportbike! :D Wooooo, hoooo!

------------------
Stacia - '00 CBR F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
This can be a sensitive subject, since my personal desires can be interpreted as a controlling thing. But since I wear my emotions on my sleeve (not always a good thing), here goes.
If the significant other truly wishes to ride (for themselves, not in trying to please someone else), they should be supported regardless. To do it for someone else could be dangerous to his/her health. My wife does not wish to ride, prefering to be a passenger, but only if the weather is nice. I personally enjoy, as my wife puts it, "the boobs in the back" (please don't slam me, this is my wife's saying).
I think it would probably also be enjoyable on two bikes, but the focus could be more on biking, not closeness. I have had only bad experiences in this regard and probably am not best qualified to expound on this.

------------------
-Only safe riders become old riders-99 GSXR750

·
Registered
560 Posts
My lovely and talented wife rides occasionally with me. We did a few rides when we were first married, down to Laguna Seca for the GP races (15 years ago). She's not really that fond of riding, but seems to enjoy my Harley Road King more than other bikes I've owned. She feels a bit more secure with the wide seat, floorboards and back rest. No prob for me, I ride very gently with any passenger. Bless her heart, she even tells me to "Go for a ride" when she correctly (always) senses a foul mood on my part!

Now that we're in the country and all our kids are dirtbiking, I hope to get her to start riding a little dirtbike with us on the weekends, we shall see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, my wife finally rides!
We met through bikes, and until about 3 months ago, she had always been a pilly. Then she got her license, and her first bike. Unfortunately it's not going at the moment. I had been pushing her to get her license (so that she could then make an informed choice whether to ride or not), and until she started lessons, she was non-committal about it. After her first lesson, there was no stopping her. I would not have been worried if she decided not to ride after trying it out.
I love the fact that she can now experience the same buzz being on the front by yourself that only riders can understand. I still worry about her, maybe because I am no longer in control, but that is getting less witht he more riding that she does.

------------------
"It's all fun and games until someone scratches your bike!"

Mark [email protected]

[This message has been edited by kwaka_man (edited January 09, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Yes, my GF rides and I have to say there is NOTHING sexyer than a woman on a Sportbike. (Ok, well almost nothing! :))

I do have to admit though when we first started dating I (one of the faster riders in my group) would always hold back to wait for her, and she let me know that it pissed her off. So now I don't let her know that I am checking up (spying) on her from the top of the mountain to make sure she is ok.

I LIVE for the day when she can pass me in a corner. ;)

------------------
Robert Basil
Sportbikeworld Admin
90 ZX7, 94 ZX9R, 97 ZX7R, 98 ZX9R.
It ain't easy being green, but it sure is fun!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
AMEN robert! Women sportbike riders are VERY sexy! I keep telling my wife that, but so figures she's sexy enough I guess lol ;)

Stacia, how funny that I just talked about this subject in the email I sent you just prior to checking the forum.
Anyway, I tried to intrest my wife in the idea of riding her own bike but she just doesnt have the desire and I can't 'light' that kind of desire in her. Oh well, she enjoys riding with me ocasionally and thats ok by me.
BTW, on this subject: When I tossed my bike last month, my wife was very nearly a passenger and Thank god she was'nt because she would not have been wearing enough protection. i.e. gloves, boots and proper jacket. She would have been hurt alot more than I was and we all know it sucks to hurt someone else. Anyway, keep in mind that your passenger should always have the same level of protection as you. :)

------------------
Kyle-
smashed 99'CBR600F4
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well if you hadn't noticed, my wife rides too. As a matter of fact she technically got her first bike before I ever got mine. She picked up a used Vulcan 750 last spring and continues to surprise me by tearing my a** up every now and again. I'm still learning to ride streetbikes (which I find harder to learn to advanced corner etc...), so I have an excuse, but there is no greater feeling than to look ahead and see my wife tearing up the road right along with me.
I have to agree with some of you though every now and again I worry that something will happen to her or me and the other would have to see it. But those are the risks you take and the joy of riding far outweighs that.

Will

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/azsportbike" TARGET=_blank>

]http://207.218.85.239

</A>

·
Registered
86 Posts
This may be a lame post, because my wife doesn't ride a sportbike, but I thought I would contribute anyway. She's got a sport-standard - a Ducati Monster 750, in red of course. Brand new 2000. She loves the sound of a Duc, so in a month or so, I'll jet it and throw on some Ti race cans. That should make her happy ;)

------------------
- Dan
'99 Ducati 900SS

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
I feel like I am in the distinct minority here. Does anyone else prefer the intimacy of a passenger over riding solo? Or perhaps I just have not had the opportunity to experience a significant other who can actually ride? Does this have anything to do with my rides either being commuting or long-distance touring. The gxxr usually stays in the garage on the weekends as family takes front seat (I have 4 kids, ages 20,17,16,12, and wife, age 29+).
I feel like I am missing something here. Anyone care to elaborate?

------------------
-Only safe riders become old riders-99 GSXR750

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KEITH! :)

First off, each and every person in this forum has their own opinion and no one is wrong or should be "hammered" for sharing it. Robert let me start this forum because I wanted to have a place where we had different general topics to share our feelings and opinions with others and that's what you are doing.

As far as a passenger, I have no desire to have boobs pressing against my back. ;) I'm not nearly a good enough rider to even consider a passenger. I have to admit, I liked the groping I did when riding with my husband but I do that at home now. I like being in control of my own bike.

Also, as far as distance, note the size/shape of the back of your seat. Not comfy for a girl's butt for miles and miles. I didn't like going long distances on the back of the SuperHawk but now I can do much longer distances with my own bike. That may have something to do with it.

Motorcycling is almost an obsession with me. I'm not really sure why, because no one in my family rides. My dad bought my sister and I a couple dirt bikes when were little for something to do. She hated them, I loved them and it seemed to stick. I think it's just a very personal thing. Some people love them, some just don't and you certainly can't make someone enjoy riding.

------------------
Stacia - '00 CBR F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

[This message has been edited by Luv2RideFast (edited January 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
RE: Preference of riding together or separate...

I really prefer riding separate. Maybe Stacee and I get enough "together time" elsewhere. My main reason is that I REALLY like being in control of my bike and doing what I want with it. With a passenger, you have to be extremely careful with th clutch so they don't fall off the back or slam into the back of you.

Same as a sports car. If you've had the pleasure of totally slamming a high-powered sports car around by yourself, you'll know what I mean. You don't have to worry about making the ride "comfortable" for the passenger.

I mean, if I am just out for a long tour, (no sporting) then sure, a casual ride with Stacee on the back is nice. But for the fun rides, I like to be by myself.

------------------
- Dan
'99 Ducati 900SS

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife is a Doctor in the Isle Of Man's main hospital and sees the worst side that our
sport can offer "the better half".
So you can imagine how strange it is that it is she that said that she wanted a "Has been" instead of a "could have been" and encourages me to race and even pays for it.
You might think that she is "Unhinged" and if I'd told you that she used to be a sidecar passenger I'm sure you'd agree.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Now that's what I call crazy! I could never hang my butt off of a sidecar, but I respect the bravery of the people that do.

------------------
Robert Basil
Sportbikeworld Admin

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always said that swingers are either very talented, very stupid, or have very big cahonees (sp). I know a few, and some are all three! *LOL*
Just jokes - you lucky, lucky, lucky b**tard!
I wish my wife could afford to pay for me to become a 'has been' rather than the 'wanna be' that I am.

------------------
"It's all fun and games until someone scratches your bike!"

Mark [email protected]

G

·
It kills my soul that due to my medical problems, my wife sadly "gave up her bike" and went back to being the "finest co-rider" on the planet!

We've rode 200,000+ miles since 1987 when I got back into bikes, hell she was a passenger on the back of a 83 XS650 Yamaha cafe racer for over 6 years and 75,000 miles!! Although she's "way too short" for a sporting machine (5'0", with a 26" inseam) she's done a hell of a job as a group "TailGunner" on small cruiser's when she rode her own.

At the present we are totally bikeless but hope to purchase a older late 70's or early 80's UJM to convert into a cafe racer by March or April 2000! If things get better, it's my fondest wish that the new Buell Thor single, lowered version will fit her and she can finally get that "sport style" machine she's always wanted!! She has always wanted to ride a 600 Bandit but there's no way to lower it enough and still have it handle decent!

So I have the best of both worlds and can say it's great to have my "best friend" along weither as a fellow "rider" or the most hardcore passenger around!

BJ
Colorado

------------------
Take care, Ride Safe but have FUN!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My wife just started getting into being a pillion this year. She used to ride way back when she was in college, but stopped. Then she had a serious skiing accident and is now lucky she can walk.

However, a couple of years ago I started getting back into bikes once again. We had already convinced her to get back on skis (actually the kids did; I was just along for the ride) and when I got my bike she was real nervous. But after a while she noticed that I was pretty safe and able to take the kids as pillion as well. So she tried it and enjoyed the ride.

Right now we just take some short hops when the weather is alright. It is a start...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Well,

Now my "significant other" is no longer my "significant other" :( so I'm looking for another. With a few qualifications.....

#1 She has to like Sportbikes (either as a passenger or a rider, but I prefer that she ride her own bike).

#2 She has to be breathing.

#3 She has to like Sportbikes (either as a passenger or a rider, but I prefer that she ride her own bike).

#4 She has to be breathing.

#5 She has to like Sportbikes (either as a passenger or a rider, but I prefer that she ride her own bike).

#6 She has to be breathing.

#7 She has to like Sportbikes (either as a passenger or a rider, but I prefer that she ride her own bike).

#8 She has to be breathing.

(Do you see a pattern here?) :)

------------------
Robert Basil
Sportbikeworld Admin

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Maybe we oughta make a new forum...Single and looking!(Must have sportbike!)...j/k..
I know someone with those qualifications though..:) Matter of fact I let her ride mine around two weekends ago....:)

Will

[This message has been edited by RedNinja (edited January 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m mostly a recreational rider so when the wife hangs on, it doesn’t bother me at all. I actually prefer to ride with my wife, there’s nothing like cruising down the highway with the arms of a beautiful women around your waist.

I have my days of riding solo with the guys but that’s when I usually get myself into trouble. I’ve never been pulled over while riding with my wife. I’ve got over 17,000 miles on my 98 CBR900RR and a major portion of those miles were two up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BK,

That's good that she helps you moderate your speed. My wife likes it when I go fast. Not to say that yours dislikes it, but my wife encourages me to go fast. Another reason for her NOT to ride with me :)

------------------
- Dan
'99 Ducati 900SS

1 - 20 of 34 Posts