Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Tony, I just read the thread posted Bob, and I couldn't tell if they have a 2nd gear problem or not. If so could you give me a little more info on it. I have money on a 02 GSXR 600, and I would like to know if I have something I will need to worry about. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the majority of the 750's problems came from the bolts in the clutch not being lock-tited in properly. in the tread they mentioned how much lock-tite was used on them in the 600. the 750 was supposed to be the only one with hollow shafts.

btw, the telefonica bikes look awesome!!!! i saw one a few weeks ago. VERY NICE!!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
FZR400Tony said:
at least it's staying warm inside for now.
No kidding. I really can't wait until riding season again. The dealer I got the bike from is going to keep it in the crate until I let them know that I am going to come and get it. I thought that was nice of them to not put it together and throw it out on the show room floor.

·
Registered
482 Posts
jj2f1 said:

I can't wait to get mine. I have to wait until March to take delivery.
Seem like every dealership I wandered in to who sells Suzuki's have at least one gsxr Telefonica in stock...

Sweet looking bike.

·
Registered
576 Posts
slowrat said:

Seem like every dealership I wandered in to who sells Suzuki's have at least one gsxr Telefonica in stock...

Sweet looking bike.
I guess more accurately I'm not taking delivery until March because I don't want it to sit in the garage and taunt me while the roads are still covered with sand, salt, and frozen wet. Plus if the dealer has it I don't have to put it on my insurance until I get it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
jj2f1 said:
I guess more accurately I'm not taking delivery until March because I don't want it to sit in the garage and taunt me while the roads are still covered with sand, salt, and frozen wet. Plus if the dealer has it I don't have to put it on my insurance until I get it.
All along I have been thinking of getting a liter bike when it's time for a change... (and when financial situation is right)... but reality has caught up with me... a 600 would be just good for my style of riding...

you actually getting one? you suck!:D :twofinger

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Kent Kunitsugu (from I think Sport Rider) wrote a fantastic article on what size bike you should ride. The most current month. It makes sense and puts into very good words what most of us try to explain to everyone who shows up here asking about what bike to buy.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Gotta run out and get that mag..thankx E..:D

I'll just say this, imho...I'd rather have a slower bike that I can ride fast, than a faster bike, that I ride slower....:D In the twisties, you need way more throttle control on a 750 and even more on a liter..plus, it's so much fun...runnin upon the rear tire uh..make run up close...of the bigger bikes..:D

I'm lookin for an 01 600....I know lots of guys that ride em, so far no problems with 2nd gear....it's that dang tipover sensor, ya gotta fix.....:D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
kill switch actually seems to be killing power when the bike starts to try to high side you. and then you can't give it more gas and try to save it or low-side. this problem is likely on all fuel injected bikes.

if you don't fill it with silcone you may end up highsiding hard if it starts to buck a bit in an attempt to highside.

if you do fill it in, you may end up dumping your bike with a high-powered full pump spraying gasoline all of hot exhaust pipes. it's why so many pro-level superbikes burn to the ground after crashes.

one quick thought. how many track days have you been to bob (or anyone else) where a gsx-r or tl (same box) either highsided because the ignition cut out (for any reason) or burned to the ground? i haven't seen it anywhere but on tv (pegram's 996 at daytona and a few others).

·
Registered
576 Posts
Tony, so the problem is rather uncommon, and the switch only kicks in when you get the bike really out of shape? For most street riders is this a concern? If you take the bike to the track is it a good idea to find a middle ground solution like what is mentioned in the thread posted earlier? I think one of the guys mentioned putting a capacitor in line with the switch that way it would take a 'amount of time' after the bike reaches 'critical lean' before it shuts off. It sounds like this would give some time in the event of the bike getting out of shape, and still save the bike, from fire, if it does go down?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
So, fuel injected bikes have a kill switch if the bike leans over a certain amount? I did not know that!
What you're talking about is that if a bike is leaned over X amount, the engine cuts out, and this could conceivably happen mid-corner? But if it doesn't have this kill switch and the bike does go over, the injector keeps pumping fuel until you can get over and turn the motor off?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts