Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to keep count of the bikes I see riding by on my daily commute to and fro work. (What can I say, I'm eager to take my MSF this month.) I live in a suburb of Pittsburgh (SE of the place) but I do travel around a bit. Anyway, I've now watched 100 bikes go by in the past month~ish. I'm pretty certain that none of them were the same people.

0 people out of 100 wore leathers/armor etc. None. Zip. Zero. NADA. Nil. About half of them wore helmets. About 75 of them were cruiser types. (I still can't tell the difference between a Harley and a Japanese cruiser just by quickly looking, but I'm betting the Harleys were much more frequent.) Saw one couple with the girl in a two piece bathing suit and the guy in shorts and flipflops...but both with helmets on!

One can only hope that they land JUST on their heads and the spring back onto the ground with their feet and stop there after that Hummer pulls out in front of them wanting to go left. (Shame too, because the girl was fine with a capital F.) Why wear a helmet...with your string bikini top and near thong bottoms? :huh:

Why do I live near so many :squid::squid::squid::squid:? I'm sure a few were 'out to dry the tires off' or 'out to the corner store for a minute' but COME ON MAN 0 for 100?!?

Guess I'm going to be a laughing stalk when I get my bike as I, foolishly, plan on wearing my gear all of the time. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
In Ohio, about 60-75% wear helmets, and 25% wear jackets/armor (I don't consider leather vests to be protection). I also go down to Florida a couple times a year, and it seems like more people wear gear there then up North. But to see 100 bikers all without gear is just astounding. Be the exception.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
<blah blah blah>Saw one couple with the girl in a two piece bathing suit and <blah blah blah> because the girl was fine with a capital F <blah blah blah> your string bikini top and near thong bottoms <yada yada yada>

:twofinger

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts

:twofinger

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

:thumbs2:

spicersh and I saw the same thing last weekend, minus the helmets. Then we saw a deer that someone had hit. Yup, it equated out for me. :barf2:

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
lol yep, you're married. :twofinger
:huh:

You mean you don't want to see some hot girl in a bikini? I don't think that has anything to do with one's marital status. More like their sexual orientation.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
:huh:

You mean you don't want to see some hot girl in a bikini? I don't think that has anything to do with one's marital status. More like their sexual orientation.
It's not that he wants to see it... it's more along the lines of "That is all he saw when he read the post".

And that aside... looking at some hot girl in a bikini riding a bike is like checking out the cattle before they are slaughtered. I'd rather not spend a lot of time looking at the next meat patty I'll see beside the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i live in the state of wyoming, and it's VERY rare that i even see a guy in a helmet.....let alone riding gear! but i got a son on the way in the next month or so, so i'd like to live awhile longer. even tho its the least populated state (under 500,000) and the biggest town here, cheyenne has 53,011. even still there's some bada$$ twisties and canyons everywhere! people die constantly on our highways and no one seems to really care.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
people die constantly on our highways and no one seems to really care.
Part of that is the highly conservative nature of Wyoming, I'd bet. They appear to have an attitude of, "Its your life, do what you wish with it." Granted I've never been there, guess I get that sense from news stories (rare as they are) that come out of there. Am I right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm impressed with FL, alot of people wearing gear, which is crazy considering the weather and humidity. But this is a biker's state so these guys aren't idiots, thats why

·
Registered
848 Posts
Another Pittsburgher here...

... and based on our population, one can only hope Darwin is on his way. I may not wear full leathers, but I'll be damned if I'm not doing my best and covering that which I can with that which I have. The bikini is for the pool... leather is for the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup, hardly anyone here weres even a helmet. Just this week a guy a knew from highschool bought his first bike. Didnt even have it for a week and he is now in a hospitle for broke arm and leg and major tissue damage. He was riding a GSX R 750 and has never readin a bike before. From what i herd he was tryin a wheel at 60mph and wrecked when the wheel contacted the pavement and sent him fishi tailing. Plus he had zero gear on. I dont have my back yet but i will be investing some of my money for riding gear and will be starting out on a smaller bike like a ninja 500r or somethn around there.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
The bikini is for the pool... leather is for the bike.
But the leather bikini, now THATS for the webcam!:eyebrows::twofinger

Seems like it breaks mostly on bike style here for gear. Most sportbikes have at least a helmet, and the sightings of gloves and jackets seems to have increased. Rarely do I see full leathers and boots though.

Cruisers however seem to wear nothing but sunglasses. Man I wish I could be an individual just like all of them. :thumbs2:

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Self reliance and responsibility continue becoming a thing of the past.
You ever wonder if that very same phrase was one used by our grandfathers? Not saying I disagree with you (quite the contrary), just something that occurred to me.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Hmm.

Is the number of useless people growing? (almost certainly)
Is the number of useless people growing as a percentage of the total population? (no idea)
If it is, wouldn't the productivity of useful people be an exponential quantity? Would the productivity increase outpace the needs of the useless bunch?

If not, how does one explain progress?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts