Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/)
-   New Riders (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/91-new-riders/)
-   -   Batteries (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/91-new-riders/56586-batteries.html)

tard_zone 01-19-2006 06:13 PM

Batteries

The screws that hold the wires to the battery terminal on my battery are gettin stripped, I was wondering if they were special screws or just an ordinary screw, because I would like to replace them

Hammer 4 01-19-2006 08:57 PM

Re: Batteries

Quote:

Originally posted by tard_zone
The screws that hold the wires to the battery terminal on my battery are gettin stripped, I was wondering if they were special screws or just an ordinary screw, because I would like to replace them

Why are they gettin stripped..?

I've had my battery in and out a dozen times, w/o any problems..

If the terminals are stripped, you could try and drill em out and put a helicoil in there, but I'm betting your gonna need a new battery..

Smitty 01-20-2006 01:07 PM

Hate to say this, but Hammer is probably correct. Many yrs ago I snugged way to tight & could not loosen it up. Cost me a new battery so in a way the very opposit to you AND it was my own wrong doing.

Stupid Phillips head screw-up so easily especailly if the screwdriver is showing some wear. To bad the Americans have turned down the Roberts head screws of so many yrs & still becomming #1 in Cdn over many yrs of use. Of interest I was in a shop that deals with carpenters & nome makers.

Finally purchased my first battery operated screw-driver, two plus months ago, & when I wanted a glob of wood screws I noted they ONLY had Roberts & seems they & other stores have only been Roberts for some yrs now & will not touch Phillips. Finally a good move for the Roberts is next thing to the Allen heads.

tard_zone 01-20-2006 03:20 PM

I mean the screw its self, I dont know why its stripped. I am not talking about the threads but the, i dont know the word for it, but the part you put the screw driver in

mstrand_68 01-20-2006 04:02 PM

The "HEAD" of the screw, and no it's not special, unlike you Tard...:twofinger

Go down to Napa or anywhere and get another one.

-M-

Smitty 01-21-2006 01:03 PM

Like all bikes now, it is the darn stupid Phillips head of the screw. So you need an easy-out to drill in & back it out. Same problem I had only knew my battery was in its last season, frustrated, & such so reason I cut it off & put in a new battery. So take it easy use the proper easy-out & then replace the metric scew with a new one, & if by chance you can buy a SLOT head you will be even better off. Put a bit of lube on the screw before you screw it down & do not apply to much pressure.

You might find the nut below tends to move around so block it with a shiver or wood & in my case I have stopped the nut below from moving with the thick head of a toothpick.

Hammer 4 01-21-2006 02:28 PM

If you can get the stripped screw out, go to a bike shop / dealer, they prolly have old batteries that they can ive you a screw out of...Then, for chissakes...use the poper size phillips on it...:p