Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/)
-   New members (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/33-new-members/)
-   -   New fron da Dirty South (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/33-new-members/56276-new-fron-da-dirty-south.html)

slickpartner1 12-28-2005 07:20 PM

New fron da Dirty South

Hello everyone from Jackson Ms.,deep down in the south! Needless to say i love sportbikes! My favorite is the Honda cbr 1000. I currently dont have a bike of my own, but in a couple of months I will be in the market for one.. I am 6'1, 276lbs.. So i am not a small fella.. I want a Honda CBR929/954, or a Suzuki 750. I know the basics of how to ride, but i have no experience in riding. I see plenty of guys around here riding, and i get amp'd just seeing them. So i have finally decided to go ahead and get one. The most common bike around here is the Suzuki GSXR 1000! Those are out of my price range, but a 95-98 Honda CBR, NINJA or a 750 or above, due to my weight. Heads up to all you good /great riders... I'm comming! and i am bring hell with me!!:finger:

spicerke 12-28-2005 07:39 PM

Welcome to SBW. :hello:

There are tons of threads on here regarding starter bikes, you might want to do a search for "beginner bikes" and see all the advice (and debates) that have gone on here.

cookeetree 12-28-2005 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by spicerke
Welcome to SBW. :hello:

There are tons of threads on here regarding starter bikes, you might want to do a search for "beginner bikes" and see all the advice (and debates) that have gone on here.

Let me echo Spicer's sentiments, both on the greeting and the "beginner bike" advice.

Cost doesn't matter sh*t if you're gonna end up killing yourself on a bike you can't handle. :2cents:

jeeps84 12-28-2005 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cookeetree
Let me echo Spicer's sentiments, both on the greeting and the "beginner bike" advice.

Cost doesn't matter sh*t if you're gonna end up killing yourself on a bike you can't handle. :2cents:

I agree and welcome slick.

v65rider 12-29-2005 12:09 AM

I have to agree with the others, get a starter bike. You will become a much better rider on a bike that is easier to handle.
Also look into your local MSF (motorcycle Safety Foundation)it will do wonders at teaching you the correct way to ride.
Another thing the gear you wear will do alot to protect you when you go down!

Sindic 12-30-2005 05:03 AM

Hey Slick, welcome.

I want to echo the 'starter bike' comments.

I'm 6'2" and 255 right now (trying to get back to 225!) and I'll tell you that you do not need a liter Honda or GSXR 750 to start on because of your size.

My wimpy 75-80ish horsepower 600R is about all I want to try to handle, and I had ~7500mi of experience on cruisers. An SV 650 would have been a perfect starter bike for me, but I found the 600R first.

Me at 255lbs, can get my bike to ~145 indicated. My buddy at 175 could only get it to ~152 indicated. Neither of these reflect true top indicated speeds of the bike, since I start to get nervous and won't go faster. Trust me, your size won't matter that much.

slickpartner1 12-30-2005 12:25 PM

Right now i will take a 600 in good condition, beacuse i am just learning how to ride. But later on i really want a Honda 929/954, i like the style and the way it stands.. (not to mention that the majority of my friends here ride Hondas).. I guess now i need to find someone selling a good 600etc, for a good price..

sscottab 12-31-2005 04:40 PM

i have to agree with the rest about a starter bike and good gear i have many years of riding (wont say how much and give my age away hehehe) and a 954 is no way a starter bike but you are rite they are nice but learn first and upgrade later. you can die just as easy on a 600 as you can on a 954 remember that when you are learning and ride in your limits and you will be fine.

Nailer45 01-31-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by slickpartner1
Right now i will take a 600 in good condition, beacuse i am just learning how to ride. But later on i really want a Honda 929/954, i like the style and the way it stands.. (not to mention that the majority of my friends here ride Hondas).. I guess now i need to find someone selling a good 600etc, for a good price..
Find a beat up 600 thats cheap and that way if you wreck, it is no big loss...I would rather see you start on a 500 ninja or 500 interceptor...Ride the beater bike for 2 years and if you are still alive , then look at a bigger machine ..

Bigger does not mean better..