Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/)
-   Daily Rider (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/1-daily-rider/)
-   -   Replacing Spark Plugs (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/1-daily-rider/54274-replacing-spark-plugs.html)

Z_Fanatic 09-12-2005 09:40 PM

Replacing Spark Plugs

I spent an entire afternoon trying to replace the plugs, as I'm guessing it has never been changed. So anyway, moving the radiator was a real pain, with all the bolts rusted and no "specific" tools, it took some time and effort. But when I pulled off the ignition coil from the spark plugs, long behold, I find that actual spark plugs are sitting well below the surface, very deep inside the "hole," 5-6 inches below may be. On my previous bikes (FZR & SV), when I took off the spark plug caps, the tip of the spark plugs are situated 1/8 above the surface and visible, so getting them out was possible with regular wrench/sockets.

Now do I need some sort of Honda specialized tools/socket to go deep inside the hole and get it out. The space is quite cramped as it is, I can't even fit my hands inside or move it around with all the hoses and engine parts fitted in tiny space, how the hell do people extract their plugs on modern sportbikes? May be Japanese people have easier time working on them with their hands, but I sure don't. :p

Is this just a Honda thing or is it common among modern sportbikes? Thanks.

It just doesn't justify paying $35.00 for labor just to replace plugs,

wheelie_steve 09-12-2005 09:52 PM

it is common to find plugs recessed in the cylinder heads on modern cars and bikes. Just use the right size spark plug socket (MOST LIKELY 5/8" for the bike) and an extention with a ratchet. When you thread them back in make sure you do it by hand first and then use the ratchet to "snug them". hope this helps

Z_Fanatic 09-12-2005 10:05 PM

would you have a link to an online store may be, I looked everywhere (harbor freight, discount auto, sears, home depot, lowes, napa, and even Honda/Yamaha dealers), but they don't have the swivelling extension that I need for it. would be even better if it comes with the right socket.

Unas_the_Slayer 09-12-2005 11:41 PM

Take the tank off. Then it's real easy. You don't even need the swiveling extension.

Z_Fanatic 09-13-2005 12:52 AM

actually just the tank wouldn't do, have done it too as well as removing the ducts. I have to take off the airbox as well, and even then there are some hoses constricting the angle. plus it's a real pain putting the box back on again and connecting it to the carbs. either way, I'll need very long extensioner because it's really deep inside. normal sized extensions are too short.

Speedboy3 09-13-2005 02:38 AM

Yeah man, plugs are a horrible job on these bikes the first time you do it. When I first did mine, I put the plug socket on the plug, then measured how long I needed the extension to be and just hit up the local store.

With the right length extension, and very small turns of the ratchet, no swivel extension was needed... maybe it'll work out to be the same story for you, maybe not.

At least you can take solace in the knowledge that it just gets easier every time. And once you have the right tools and know exactly what steps to do, it's not a bad job really. Good luck.

Loud412 09-13-2005 02:51 AM

If you have an autozone near where you live you might try them. I bought a spark plug socket that had the universal joint already built in to the socket from them. Its definetly a tool that I have been extreemly pleased with. That thing has saved me a lot of frustration over the years with helping people change the plugs on their cars.

These are what you need, I promixe you will never regret purchasing them ever.
http://store1.yimg.com/I/brandsplace_1859_43426797

Z_Fanatic 09-13-2005 08:14 PM

Thanks, I have similar sockets that I used, but can't remember if it has the actual universal joint (the ones I have may swivel one way and not the other). Right now I can't check my tool box because I'm in difference city. But does it work like swivelling kinds, as in able to rotate in all direction? Even with this, how long extensioner do you use on it? And I'll probably need a universal joint to hook it up between extensioner and ratchet.

duessel 09-14-2005 09:48 AM

If you are referring to the F4 spark plugs, they are not that hard. Maybe a 20-25 minute job after the tank is off. It's best to use the tool that was included in the tool kit to remove/replace the spark plugs.

Vash 09-14-2005 10:32 AM

Honda plugs have a reputation for being hard to change...