Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/)
-   Kawasaki (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/11-kawasaki/)
-   -   ZX-6R as a starter bike? (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/11-kawasaki/51264-zx-6r-starter-bike.html)

wombat7 04-27-2005 08:37 PM

ZX-6R as a starter bike?

I know some of you are going to get upset and tell me to search, but I did and I didn't get any data that seemed to help me. I am looking to get my first street bike and right now one of my top two choices are a Yamaha R6 and a Ninja ZX-6R. If you have ever ridden both, what are your opinions, and what are your opinions on a ZX-6R as a first street bike? I have basic riding background as I have ridden dirtbikes before. I also plan on taking a MSF course before getting the bike.

Ebbs15 04-27-2005 09:11 PM

well... alot of people will tell you to start small... in other words... not with a RR 600.... (RR= Race Replica) others will tell you to start with what ever your comfortable with... to me? I think as long as your being sensable and not deciding on the looks... you'll be ok... but definatlly becarefull... and hit up the MSF course!... good luck bro!:cheers:

wombat7 04-27-2005 09:15 PM

Kinda off topic... but how do you expect to ride a bike while you're stationed at Elmendorf??

Ebbs15 04-27-2005 09:25 PM

lol... see I asked before I moved up and that's why I DON'T have a bike... they told me no riding season... I was actually on my way to the dealership... and wanted to be sure... so I didn't buy the bike... and ended up buy'n a new truck instead... I got up here and found out that the summers are actually pritty tame... avg temp of low 70's... but the draw back is the riding season is only 4 to 4.5 months... so now I'm saving $ again.... lol... should have enough to buy my SV650s outright next summer...

sorry kinda long winded ;):cheers:

wombat7 04-27-2005 09:31 PM

haha ok... i didn't realize it was that mild up there... Right now it looks like I am either going to be stationed at Eglin or Wright-Patterson. So either place has a decently long riding season, which leads me back on topic... lol... Thanks for the bike input!!

Ebbs15 04-27-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wombat7
Right now it looks like I am either going to be stationed at Eglin or Wright-Patterson. So either place has a decently long riding season,
yeah florida has a decent riding season! F*%ker!:twofinger... good luck but be carefull... don't need another AF statistic ;)

ZX6R1033 04-28-2005 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ebbs15
well... alot of people will tell you to start small... in other words... not with a RR 600....

I guess I will be the first one to point this out...

The ZX-6R (636) is 5 BHP over the ZX-6RR. If I were to recomend either of these bikes as a starter, I would definitly go with the ZX-6RR.

PS... yes I have ridden both of the ZX's. My best friend has a ZX-6RR and my bike is faster.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/939976/88.JPG

Now... onto topic...

Of the two choices, ZX-6R (636) and the R6... Powerwise, on the street, you will not notice too much of a difference. The 636 is a bit punchier through the 6,500-9,000 RPM range. I would say sit on both of them and see which one is more comfortable, since YOU are the one who will be riding it. :thumb:

wombat7 04-28-2005 10:07 AM

You would really recommend the RR over the R? I like the looks of the RR a little better, but thought that I would stay away from RR bikes as a first.

How does the riding position of the RR compare to that of the R? I absolutely loved the way the R felt when I sat on it yesterday, but hated the way the race ready GSXR-600 felt. I felt like I was laying on the tank...

ZX6R1033 04-28-2005 10:18 AM

Quote:

You would really recommend the RR over the R? I like the looks of the RR a little better, but thought that I would stay away from RR bikes as a first.

How does the riding position of the RR compare to that of the R? I absolutely loved the way the R felt when I sat on it yesterday, but hated the way the race ready GSXR-600 felt. I felt like I was laying on the tank...

If you are comparing a ZX-6R to a ZX-6RR... the bikes are practically the same. (at leas the 03-04s) the frame on the RR is painted black, but otherwise the bikes look identical. The major difference is in the engine itself. And double R's do not always mean the bike is faster. I got into this conversation with my MMSEC teacher when I took the safty course... He thought it was absolutly horrible that my friend has an RR but didnt even blink when I said I had the 636, which is actually the faster of the two.

vtrryder 04-28-2005 11:55 AM

Re: ZX-6R as a starter bike?

Quote:

I know some of you are going to get upset and tell me to search, but I did and I didn't get any data that seemed to help me. I am looking to get my first street bike and right now one of my top two choices are a Yamaha R6 and a Ninja ZX-6R. If you have ever ridden both, what are your opinions, and what are your opinions on a ZX-6R as a first street bike? I have basic riding background as I have ridden dirtbikes before. I also plan on taking a MSF course before getting the bike.
I have a coworker that just started riding on an R6, and after the MSF course he is doing great. As long as you can keep the testosterone in check and get comfortable on the bike I think a 600 is a good choice. Docile enough at small throttle openings to not be too overwhelming, but more than enough there to keep you interested at least as long as your 5-year loan on it.