Sportbike World banner

Motorcyclist hurt in Route 30 drag race

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  DaBatty1 
#1 ·
Motorcyclist hurt in Route 30 drag race

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A motorcyclist was critically injured last night when he crashed during a race with a pickup truck in Westmoreland County.

State police said Jesse Springer, 18, of Laughlintown, was seen by at least two witnesses racing at a speed estimated at more than 80 mph on Route 30 in Unity Township. While traveling east, the cycle and the truck passed other motorists by traveling in a lane closed for construction, police said.

As the racers approached the Route 217 intersection, the cycle passed the truck and got in front of it in the right lane. But then it lost control, slid on its side and crashed into a guard rail.

Springer was flown to a Johnstown hospital.

Police are seeking a red, Chevy S-10 pickup modified for high performance. The truck has a decal or painting of flames on the side or hood.

See less See more
#12 ·
Denovich said:
Racing at 80mph?
Racing a truck?

Was he riding a Vespa? or a Royal Enfield? Anything else and it wouldn't be a race.

--Mark
I know a few of my boys back in NC that would give you a run for your money in an S-10, lowered and worked on, they can go!!!! maybe not in the twisties, but on the hwy...they roll!

#13 ·
I am sorry to hear about this, I hope he recovers. This just gives the rest of us a bad name and raises our insurance, makin it harder for ALL of us! Plus its just stupid, he obviously wasn't a very good rider, or too bright! A bike or an S-10, I don't know any cars in my area that can beat most bikes on the highway, I don't know....................:finger:

#14 ·
DaBatty1 said:
I am sorry to hear about this, I hope he recovers. This just gives the rest of us a bad name and raises our insurance, makin it harder for ALL of us! Plus its just stupid, he obviously wasn't a very good rider, or too bright! A bike or an S-10, I don't know any cars in my area that can beat most bikes on the highway, I don't know....................:finger:
Then you do not know anyone that is a good mechanic and I did not say beat a bike, I said give it a run. There are plenty of cars that could get the best of a bike on a hwy that is not twisty turnie

#15 ·
This is true, don't mind my ignorant response, I am just in a like a BLAH mood, I hate hearin' about dumb accidents, and I read this post after creating this one...............
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45451
So I just was in a bad mood, I guess, I actually got a friend with a mustang and a nova, he lives in Jersey that could easily hang with most bikes, so don't mind me..................
Thanks for the reality check !:twofinger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.