Sportbike World banner

Night concentration

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Smitty 
#1 ·
Road home one night and realized that I feel far more alert and prepared at night than I do during the day. Everything just seems to click. I was thinking this might occur because there're a lot fewer distractions since you can't see beyond the bike's beams. Any other theories out there, or am I the only one who experiences this?

Of course, it's a lot more dangerous to ride at night for obvious reasons, but I actually think I like night riding better. "KIT, bring up the radar!"

#4 ·
Maybe its my desire for venison. I hear the plastic bits strewn throughout the meat don't taste too good through a tube though :rolleyes:

#5 ·
kanwisch said:
Maybe its my desire for venison. I hear the plastic bits strewn throughout the meat don't taste too good through a tube though :rolleyes:
hahaha, i know who you are talking about here.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

#6 ·
In NY City we don't have to watch for deer...we have man-sized potholes that will not only ruin your night, but make you wish you had never gotten on a bike in the first place. Not that the holes disappear during the daytime, but it's harder to see them and avoid them at night. We've also got tired cabbies, drunk drivers, delivery trucks, construction, drunk pedestrians, cranky cops, and high taxes...all of which make night riding in the city super-hazardous.

#7 ·
I avoid night riding for one looses 75% of what they would see during daylight, such as pot holes, deer that come out on the hwy & look staight at you, cages that are with a wheel plus on your lane of a narrow two lane road, vehicles that come out from a side road, humans, etc. STILL I keep myself in riding form, by doing a bit of night riding.

#8 ·
monkey said:
i hate riding at night. not much else to say on that one.
I am the exact opposite, 2 am on full moon is my favorite riding time. That may have to do with the fact that when I got my first bike I would finish work around 12:30 - 1:00 am and my only time to ride other than to go to and from work was in the middle of the night. I also feel more alert at night, for me it's the clean air crisp air, and the need to be more on gaurd for deer that makes me feel that way. Also I HATE traffic, around here you own the road from 1:30 am - 5:00 am, I've gone through 4.5 gallons of gas without seeing a car on the road.

James.

#9 ·
I try to aviod doing any "hard" riding at night. For instance, during the day I will suit up and get ready to go rip thru some turns. But the only thing I will do at night is make a B line from point A to point B.

#10 ·
jamesjweg said:
I am the exact opposite, 2 am on full moon is my favorite riding time.
I like night riding, too, and probably for a lot of the same reasons. I work second shift, so unless I ride to work, I don't get a lot of chance to ride during the week. A buddy of mine and I rode for an hour or so after work the other night and it was a blast. But you definitely have to be on your guard at night for all the reasons already mentioned.

#11 ·
I love to ride at night as well, except in maine there are a lot of bugs out at night so I have to stop to clean my visor alot. Another problem I have at night is that when I am cornering hard my headlights go closer to vertical so I cant see a damn thing. Does anyone else have this problem. I think they need to make headlights sreadout more up/down so that when your leaned over you can see what you are doing, when I am leaned over I have plenty of light up/down but none from side to side. Just cant ride as hard, Obviously:D . Other than that I love to ride at night. NO TRAFFIC:twofinger :twofinger

#12 ·
That is one of the downfalls of a fairing for on naked bikes the headlamp is with the forks & so aims in the direction one is going, but with a sportbike it is with the frame & so a delayed action of lights.

#14 ·
i like city riding at night, i love taking ramps, bridges and tunnels when there's no traffic, but any kind of back road i hate,

i drive cars nuts on the way home from my girlfriends house, for about 3 miles on a back road i'm only going 25-30 mph, with cars tailing me with their highbeams on the whole way, then as soon as i get up to the main road, they can't keep up with me, they probably think i'm just messing with them, but yeah, i just wish deer payed more attention,

#15 ·
"A few weeks ago I had a mate die peacefully in his sleep...which is more than could be said for his pillion at the time :p :p :p "

errr I find riding at night a pain as I wear glasses. Much more of a problem I find is when you rug up for the cold with neck warmers, balaclavas etc you can find yourself falling asleep on the bike when not getting enough fresh air. It's a balance between freezing and breathing....

:)

#16 ·
I wear glasses, and leave my tinted visor on at night - usually because I have no way to carry it in the day, and I'm out till dark, not by choice. My night vision is fine, and the tinted visor doesn't seem to matter, though it does help with oncoming headlights.

Anyway, I enjoy riding in the dark - it's no more alarming for me, just different.

I've destroyed 3 deer with a Crown Vic (back in Maryland/Virginia) but never with a bike (and more often with the car than with a rifle!).

cdma2k

#17 ·
I wear glasses constantly & bifocals at that, but they do not give me problems in riding or driving in the night.

I never dress up to warmy as I want air up into the helmet. True I have a trick with a large bandana that wards off fogging up in the visor or glasses & STOPS a lot of cold air from scooting up into the head/helmet.

I tend to use a short washbasin size towel around the neck to keep the cold air from going down into the jacket. Natch I use both tricks during cold weather days. Tried a balaclavis but to bulky for the helmets (to wooly & from the days of mountaineering) are such a close fit that I can tell when I need hair cut.

If the above is not enough to help me keep warm in cold weather THEN I know winter is right on top of me & next will be snow------time to put the bikes away & BESIDES if bundled up to snug one cannot do quick shoulder checks to the right/rear & are not as flexible on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.