Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/)
-   Daily Rider (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/1-daily-rider/)
-   -   larger tire? (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/1-daily-rider/24863-larger-tire.html)

Rio 06-30-2002 02:56 AM

larger tire?

I ride a 2001 R1, and when replacing the tires recently, I found I have the option of a 200 instead of a 190. I use the Dunlop D207s.

My question is this: Are there any benefits to either speed or handling by switching to the larger tire? Also, are there any disadvantages to the larger tire?

BobbyDazzler 06-30-2002 06:16 AM

I think the general consensus with larger tyres is that they slow down the steering, without really giving any real gains in the traction department.
I think the only positive would be cosmetic.
Personally I'd go with the better handling option.

kvpZX9R 06-30-2002 08:35 AM

There's an article in a Sportrider issue from a couple of months ago about this that will fill you in. Check around Mar/Apr issues. Maybe someone here will be able to tell ya the exact issue.

Rio 06-30-2002 09:51 AM

Thanks. I did end up going with the 190 since the employee at the store couldn't give me any good reason to switch (besides cosmetic). I'd rather my bike handle well than look good. But.....nothing wrong with wanting them both, is there? ;)

Robert 06-30-2002 10:10 AM

You should have went down to a 180.

Rio 07-01-2002 12:38 PM

Would a 180 fit on the same tire as a 190? I figured it would be too small.

UFO 07-01-2002 01:20 PM

Yes, it would most likely fit. Rule of thumb is that you can go one size up or down from the OEM size. Not always true, but usually.

Hammer 4 07-01-2002 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Rio
Would a 180 fit on the same tire as a 190? I figured it would be too small.
Nope, it'll fit just fine...get the 180..:thumb: :D

kapeXracer 07-02-2002 10:46 PM

since u guys are talkin about tyres.....how about tyre profiles? like most dunlops i know are pretty rounded while others rise sharply at the edge. somone told me rounded tyres are best for straight-line stability but harsh during side-to-side transitions. saying that for agility are more sharply contoured profile is best because the tyre will have more footprint at lean. is this true? it seems/feels true since ive switched from dunlop to avons. i only have those 2 for comparisons. care to add?

Hammer 4 07-03-2002 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kapeXracer
since u guys are talkin about tyres.....how about tyre profiles? like most dunlops i know are pretty rounded while others rise sharply at the edge. somone told me rounded tyres are best for straight-line stability but harsh during side-to-side transitions. saying that for agility are more sharply contoured profile is best because the tyre will have more footprint at lean. is this true? it seems/feels true since ive switched from dunlop to avons. i only have those 2 for comparisons. care to add?
I've used a few different brands..207's Pilots, Supercorsa's, and Rennsports.....

I'd say the 207's are pretty stable..if you ride mostly on the hwy..ect..but IMHO, they aren't the best tires to ride on, if you happen to like, or ride in the twisties alot..they don't tip over nearly as easy, and fast as the last 2 brands I mentioned..now keep in mind everyone has different opinons re: tires so it's prolly best to try a few brands to see which suit you best..I happen to like the Pirelli, Metzler tires, same tire, different tread pattern..

Hope this helps ya..:D