Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/)
-   New members (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/33-new-members/)
-   -   New bike, new rider! need advice! (https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/33-new-members/10737-new-bike-new-rider-need-advice.html)

AtomHeartzx6r 07-08-2001 09:42 AM

New bike, new rider! need advice!

I bought an Zx6r yesterday, and I am just starting to get the hang of the thing. I have never ridden a sportbike (or road going motorcycle) before yesterday!

Hopefully, If things clear up later today, (NJ rider), I'll be out today with my experienced rider friend, and I'll get uphill starts learned well. It's a little shakey right now. Damn these things are kinda heavy for me, even though I'm pretty big. I'm just a pansy I guess.

I need boots and pants, and recomendations for a good shop in NJ that has plenty to try on? Big Red's didn't have much in terms of boots and no pants at all.

Thanks,
dt

AtomHeartzx6r 07-08-2001 09:43 AM

oh yea,

I'm in NJ for the next month or so than I'm heading back to colorado for school. Has anyone driven a sportbike 1700+miles in 4 days?

Stake 07-08-2001 11:07 AM

As long as you are not looking for a lasting service relationship- check out Woodbridge Powersports (used to be Woodbridge Kawasaki), just do not let them work on your bike. I have made trips similar to that in the past, just not in that short of a time. I'll spare you my views on making a trip like that with your level of street riding experience, and offer you this:

First, make sure you put enough miles on the bike to get past your break in service. Make sure you plan to bring some maintenance stuff- patch kit, tools, etc...(saddlebags?). Next, while your doing your gear shopping, I'd look more towards touring gear (i.e. waterproof stuff). When you find some stuff you like (if you have the time) I'd check out some of the websites talked about on this board to save yourself some cash.

Lastly, I hope you're not planning on travelling alone. Even if you are (bad idea, btw) I'd try and leave more time to make the trip. Personally, I equate every mile rode to about 3 miles driven. It takes a hell of alot more mental awareness and physical exertion to ride, especially over long distances. Good luck and be careful.

hot_rocket78 07-08-2001 04:52 PM

Good points

I would agree with Stake about not riding that long alone. ESPECIALLY if you are new to riding. If you have no choice about taking that trip then... if you can get away with it, give yourself more time to get from point A to point B. It's not like driving a car. You are going to get tired mentally and physically, but unlike with a car you have no forgiveness from the bike. Make frequent stops even if you don't "feel" tired. Also something to consider... give someone you know a copy of your travel route, and your expected time of arrival to your destination. That way if something DOES happen (I'm crossing my fingers that it won't) then at least there will be someone who knows where to start looking for you. Good luck and congrats on your purchase. It's not a Yamaha, but hey... ;)

Welcome to SBW.

katana600 07-08-2001 06:29 PM

solo

DT:

Welcome to SBW!!
I agree with what the others have said............

I have ridden 16 and 17 hour days,about 1200 miles.
Here are some things I have found:
Stop every two hours for gas and a stretch and to have some munchies etc. Or try stopping at around 150 miles or so.
Take a cell phone.
Buy a rainsuit. You'll never know when it may come in handy!!:D
A disc lock is a good item too. It may help discourage a potential bad guy. (Or maybe not:()
Purchase a throttle lock!!(poor man's cruise control)
Use ear plugs!!!
I hope these tips and all the others you get and will make your adventure a good one!!!
Let us know how it goes!!:):)

JIM

Stake 07-08-2001 06:43 PM

I almost Forgot

When you get back to Golden, Colorado- tell all the folks at Coors that I said to keep up the good work, to never give up the cause, to finally make a dark beer, and to please send me some free samples. :D :cool: :D :cool:

Downshyft 07-08-2001 07:54 PM

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the site! :) What color ZX6R did you get? Like everybody said,thats a long ride for a beginner by himself...be careful and wear your gear.Good luck...

AtomHeartzx6r 07-09-2001 08:33 AM

hey now!

Holy shit, this is the best forum around! I'm glad I found it. I won't know If i'll be riding my bike out or shipping it to Golden for at least a month. Everyone is recomending against it, so I may be wise and wait until I get the $$ to ship it.

Coors beer sucks!!!! I piss in the creek that feeds the brewery.

I love riding, but it can be frusturating cause everything is not second nature yet. Also, I'm scared as shit about these other mindless NJ drivers.

It's a green ninja, wish they made a red one, but green is fine with me. I need boots, asap. Left all my hiking boots in CO and I don't want to break my ankles.

I like how you guys are down with motorcycle saftey, cause that's no joke. I love,fear, and respect my bike. Any fat NJ rides? What about like bernardsville and that area?

Later fellas,
Doug

Stake 07-09-2001 10:34 AM

Re: hey now!

Quote:

Originally posted by AtomHeartzx6r
Holy shit, this is the best forum around!...

I piss in the creek that feeds the brewery.

Yes, it is the best forum around :D, and...

Is that why their beer has tasted like syphillis lately? :p

Downshyft 07-09-2001 02:32 PM

Coors+ Vicodin Doc prescribed after wreckin your bike= Lots of fun ;) :p