WARNING! WSBK final round race at Imola chat... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up WARNING! WSBK final round race at Imola chat...

That was one hell of a race! One of the best if not the best race I've seen this year between Edward's and Bayliss. Right down to the wire. After the race one, Edward's was leading by just a few points. For the race two, this was the climatic, classic side-by-side race between Edward’s and Bayliss.

1) For Bayliss to win the championship: He had to win the race two, with Edward's placing third.

2) For Edward's to win the championship: He had to finish no lower than second place.

The stage was set. For Bayliss, his tactic was to have Ruben Xous spoil it for Colin Edward's. If Bayliss was leading with Edward's behind him, he would slow down for Rubin Xaou who just happen to be in third place, to catch up to Edward's and pass him, and keep him there in third spot so that Bayliss can run away and recapture the championship. This was the whole game in race two, and it was heated one at that.

At first this tactic looked like it was going in favor of Bayliss, unfortunately, the tactic never worked because although Bayliss was leading the race, Edward's knew what Bayliss and Xaus was trying to do. Edward’s would pass Bayliss who was slowing him down in turns. As soon as Edward's pass Bayliss, Bayliss would come back and pass Edward's again, and they were going back and forth through out the whole race. At one point I thought both Bayliss and Edward's was going to take each other out, and were both breaking lap records, lap after lap.

For Rubin Xaus, that chance never came because both Bayliss and Edward's was just too fast for him to stay with them, and in the end, Edward's would pass Bayliss and take the checkered flag to win the 2002 WSBK championship for the second time. How sweet it is. Edward's was amazing and his Honda RC51.

I'm really happy for Colin Edward's. Although Honda screwed him over with the GP deal giving it to Nicky Hayden, however, Edward's can take the number one plate over to Ducati next year and rub it on Honda's face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 08:21 PM

That was one hell of a race...Bayliss was insane
Even Colin was getting it sideways.
I hope Colin gets into MotoGP like the new rumours suggest.
He and Bayliss have really proved themselves worthy of a premier ride.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 04:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
that was awesome. those guys were really hanging it out. bayliss' bike was on only two wheels about 4 times it seemed. he was awesome. edwards was awesome. i couldn't believe he was actually trying to cross the line first in race 1. talk about determination.

thanks for the warning label in the title. i am gonna move this to "race results" though.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode