8 inch swing arm - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to R1NightRiderKid
8 inch swing arm

i have an 05 R1 and have been thinking of Drag Racing, I drag race with my car, and am about to break into the 9s, so i've gotten pretty far with the car and have modded it in about every way, so naturally i'm getting kind of bored with it and am thinking about drag racing the R1, some of the riders at the track said first things first is to get a longer swing arm to keep me planted. so i've been looking at the 8 inch swing arms and was wondering how bad this would hurt my handling, because i love to fly threw the turns on the back roads where i live and am worried that with the longer swing arm i'm gonna end up a bit more sideways than i wanted to go.
basically what i'm asking is can i still take the turns as well with the longer swing arm or should i look into an ajustable swing arm?
thanks in advance for any info you guys give me

"I live life like its going out of style"
"Hey buddy heres a bullet for your brain, tell god where you got it"
"We kicked ass at the fair...we didn't win the blue ribbon...but we do have it in our possesion..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Carving dragbike

With an 8 inch extended swingarm, you can forget about carving the turns.

An adjustable swingarm would definitely be the way to go if you still want to keep your streetbike to remain street friendly. Either that, or buy another, more suitable bike for drag racing only.

Honestly, unless you plan on spending a lot of time at the strip, I wouldn't even bother spending a lot of time, money, or effort in modifying your R1 for strip use. (if you're just going to go there a few times a year to have some fun) I would just run it stock.

Personally, I find it much more challenging and impressive (and fun) to be able to properly launch and handle a non-wheelie bar, non-extended swingarm equipped literbike at the strip. It takes a helluva lot more skill to properly launch a stock bike while managing wheelspin, wheelies, etc. and get a good ET out of it vs. simply dumping the clutch and riding it out on a fully prepped dragbike.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to R1NightRiderKid
how hard would it be to adjust the swingarm and swap out the chains at the track when i get there and before i leave? its not just for the performance i also like the way it looks. but still am wondering if its worth the trouble just for that, i mean if it takes like ten minutes to adjust and swap out chains than i'm all for it. but i haven't tried so i dont know how hard it is.

"I live life like its going out of style"
"Hey buddy heres a bullet for your brain, tell god where you got it"
"We kicked ass at the fair...we didn't win the blue ribbon...but we do have it in our possesion..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode