ZX-14 could be next - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

ZX-14 could be next

Just got back from the drag strip and am really starting to think a drag bike is in my future. Right now i have an SV650 that I bought for doing trackdays, but have owned 3 other bikes. I seem to do pretty well at the strip on it, running consistant R/Ts of .034 to a personal best of .002! My 60' times are about 1.8 to 1.9 sec. The only problem is I get killed on the big end of the track. This bike has no top end power and my best E.T. was 11.90 and I consistantly run 12.10 to 12.20 @ about 107 to 108 mph. A friend of mine has a 2005 zx-10r that is lowered 2" and has a +3" swing arm. He has not let me run it at the strip but has let my try it out on the road twice. All I did was run it up a bit in 1st gear and was surprised to find it was just as easy if not a bit easier to launch than my stock SV. If I fed in too much gas of corse it would spin up a bit, but it did so very smoothly. On a propper track I think it would be a bit better. Anyway, all this has got me thinking I may just have to buy the new mad cow. With a the wheelbase close to that of the zx10 i rode as well as being a bit heavier this beast may not be so bad. I have yet to see one in person, but if it looks good in person and has better ergos than the current liter bikes, this could be my next ride. The sv would be my track only tool and the zx14 could be my drag bike and street ride. Now all I have to do is pick the color and wipe the smug look off the face of anyone on a Hayabusa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to ZX6R1033
Re: ZX-14 could be next

Quote:
Originally posted by twp187
Just got back from the drag strip and am really starting to think a drag bike is in my future. Right now i have an SV650 that I bought for doing trackdays, but have owned 3 other bikes. I seem to do pretty well at the strip on it, running consistant R/Ts of .034 to a personal best of .002! My 60' times are about 1.8 to 1.9 sec. The only problem is I get killed on the big end of the track. This bike has no top end power and my best E.T. was 11.90 and I consistantly run 12.10 to 12.20 @ about 107 to 108 mph. A friend of mine has a 2005 zx-10r that is lowered 2" and has a +3" swing arm. He has not let me run it at the strip but has let my try it out on the road twice. All I did was run it up a bit in 1st gear and was surprised to find it was just as easy if not a bit easier to launch than my stock SV. If I fed in too much gas of corse it would spin up a bit, but it did so very smoothly. On a propper track I think it would be a bit better. Anyway, all this has got me thinking I may just have to buy the new mad cow. With a the wheelbase close to that of the zx10 i rode as well as being a bit heavier this beast may not be so bad. I have yet to see one in person, but if it looks good in person and has better ergos than the current liter bikes, this could be my next ride. The sv would be my track only tool and the zx14 could be my drag bike and street ride. Now all I have to do is pick the color and wipe the smug look off the face of anyone on a Hayabusa!

You won't wipe that look off the busa guys. They may lose, but they know they arent riding the Centenal from The Matrix.

Besides... Suzuki and Kawasaki Merged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lonnie Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Lonnie Angel
Re: ZX-14 could be next

the zx14 could be my drag bike and street ride. Now all I have to do is pick the color and wipe the smug look off the face of anyone on a Hayabusa! [/B][/QUOTE]

My Busa is ready for ya!

Also get your 60' times down those are bad! one tenth at the 60' is good for 3 tenths up top.
So get down to a 1.5 and your new times will be maybe high 10`s

Sponsored and tuned by RCC turbos & MRM Performance Fabrication, GPR Stabilizers, Catalyst Racing Composits, Tial Sport Wastegates, APE, VP Race Fuels

US 131`s quickest ET with a street tire record holder
2006 Prostar Prostreet #9 plate holder
2006 Milan Dragway Heads Up #2 plate holder
7.51 @ 193 mph

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:26 PM

SV 60 foot times

1.8 60-foot times for a non-wheelie bar, non-slick SV 650 isn't bad at all. They could be just a bit lower, but I don't see how you would EVER get a stock SV into the 1.5's without drag-specific mods. (lowering, slick, bars, etc)

By the way, an 11.90 ET isn't bad either! That's the same best corrected time I've seen in the magazines.

Getting killed at the end of the strip? Well of course! Let's be realistic, you're comparing your SV 650 to a ZX-10R, a bike with more than double the horsepower! One that's been modded a bit for drag use as well. If you stick with making apples to apples comparisons by watching the results of other riders with SV's or with bikes of similar power/weight ratios you'll probably be much more pleased with yourself.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I wish I could drop my 60' times some but, I don't think they are too bad. Keep in mind thay my little sv is set up for a road course not a drag strip. This guy has an 04 r6 with a +6" arm and dropped 2" and his 60' times are only in the low 1.8s. With the bike and set-up I have now I'm really only trying to be consistant with my ETs and cut a good light. By the way, my last trip to Moroso I made 4 runs and my R/Ts were .048, .034, .007, and a red light at -.001! Not many people there were cutting lights that good without lock-up clutches and wheelie bars. Also my clutch has about 6,000 miles on it and is about due for replacement. Maybe that will help cut my 60s a bit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 10:27 PM

I was just at Moroso last night! Rode my bike up with another guy and a wrx but didn't feel comfortable racing yet. Some of those bikes are crazy! Wonder if that r6 your talking about was the same i saw last night?...but i had just assumed it was a r1. N/M, i see you said it was a 04, this one was a 06.

The gixxer 1k's and busa's running were hittin low 10's and i think one even broke into the 9's. The craziest thing was a older kawi dragster with wheelie bar and flat slick on the back that ran a 8 second 1/4 at 152...possibly the most amazing lookin run i've ever seen in person.

Sure glad i didn't bring my turbo miata down there last night...everything running was extremely fast. Only a handful of cars i remember going past 14.5
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:16 AM

hey i got a 2000 cbr600 f4 the best it runs is [email protected] 1.78 stock length just straped and gear change 14,000 on the clutch and i slip the hell out of it. last weekend i got third here at Atlanta Dragway. One test and tune night we had gsxr 1000 run a 8.60 @165 he wheelied through the 1/8 mile i was running him front tire set down and smoke went every where. busas and gsxr's pretty much all run 9's here. stock motor's with spray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode