Rolling weight to HP? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 600f3rider
Rolling weight to HP?

I forget is it for every pound of rolling weight removed ie front break rotors, chain, sprokets ect. you gain what amount of horse power. Someone told me once and i can't remember. I'm thinking about going to a 520 chain conversion and Al sprokets and was wondering if i'd gain anything from doing so. This isn't really a drag bike but i figured you drag racers would know the conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 06:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin_Johnny
Thumbs up

Any loss in rotating mass will help in performance. HP to WEIGHT ratio is in effect. HP gains going from a 530 kit to a 520 Aluminum kit may yield in most instances..........1-2 additional hp.

We drag race a '94 ZX6E. When the machine had the 530 components it ran consistant 8's in the 1/8th mile. When we converted to the 520 kit we gained .15 of a second. Then we made "teeth" changes and gained even more. Now the ride is lowered, just "bolt-on" mods with a 520, 15/50 gearing package and running 7.37's in the 1/8th with a 195 lbs. pilot cutting .490 lights and 1.7+ 60' times.

Certain changes do make a difference!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2003
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 600f3rider
Cool. Works for me. I'm not trying to turn a 600 into a 900cc bike but just looking for a little extra power. I'm not sure whats up with the 530 chain and honda. It is what the 900 RR calls for also in some model years. Probably got a deal from did or something. I've got 12000 on the orginal chain with PLENTY of room left to adjust. I really don't even need to change it but I think i will anyways. Anyways, i've noticed i can take off almost a pound of weight by going to the 520 and however much an Al (AFAM of course) 46t sproket weights compared to steel 43. So thats what i'm going to do. Thanks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 07:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin_Johnny
Thumbs up

Anytime.........Just ask. If I can answer it I will. No matter what you do.......ALWAYS, but ALWAYS "safety" is paramount!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2003
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode