Do You Think It Is Easy or Hard To Drag Race.....WHY? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin_Johnny
Question Do You Think It Is Easy or Hard To Drag Race.....WHY?

For those that have drag raced or may be interested in Drag Racing. How many of you believe it is EASY or HARD and voice an opinion as to WHY you believe this.

Let's hear the myths and the facts............

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2003
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......

Last edited by Jammin_Johnny; 01-15-2003 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 06:37 PM

Talking Hard...

Personally I believe dragracing to be very hard, or everyone would be doing it...

A lot of people think that it is easy cutting a light & running your number...

If that we're the case you too would be a Champion... (not anyone in particular.)

When you see a Funny Bike go over 200 miles per hour in thirteen hundred and twenty feet, it is pretty amazing.

If you ride a limp bike like mine, that barely goes over 100 miles per hour in the 1/4 & just makes it to the finish line counting from 1 through 10 it makes it that much more of a victory to win a Championship !

I like it, however the first round is the hardest, you could either be racing again or watching the rest of em race...

Red, *<(:{)-

1998 Prostar West Super Gas top ten.
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004, Pro E/T #3, 2005, & 2006, Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 Motorcycle Drag Race Assoc. SS Champion !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 10:06 AM

Its tough, but i think its easier to drag a bike then a car. Might be just me, but i have alot easier time controling the bike down the stretch, i can cut better lights, 60' it and shift easier.
Im no where near getting my bike to perform its best down the strip, my best 60' has only been a 1.9, but each pass i made i got faster.
only got a 12.2 out of the bike, but got a 11.82 out of the car, both need to improve.

03 Yamaha YZF-R6 - [email protected] (1.85 60')
96 Kawasaki ninja ZX-6R - [email protected] (2.09 60')
99 TurboTransAm - 512/536, [email protected] (2.06 60')

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 11:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
not a drag racer, but still have to launch well.

i think it's a lot more complicated than it appears, and my bike doesn't make nasty power. i found that the clutch is everything, but that also makes it difficult as you're waiting for your flag (light). at least with my bike, holding the rpms near redline and trying to keep it right at the friction point, i know i would redlight if i drag raced (the clutch gets hot and start to get grabby).

then missed shifts, getting your feet on the pegs in time to shift to second in the first place (do you guys start in second gear or first???). it is infinitely more difficult to than it seems and even that much harder to do decent.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

TRUE........

To make this extremely oversimplified. The 3 basic components Are:

THE LAUNCH
THE RIDER
THE MACHINE

The same as the "Father".......The "Son"........The "Holy Spirit"!

Enjoy and Ride Well!

Johnny
http://www.2wheelpowerhour.com
&#169 2003

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:56 AM

Drag racing is easy....but wait. just pulling up to tree and letting it hang out is easy. now competing at certain levels is much more difficult. good launch good shifting and consistent bike, but most important is mentality, if your head is in the game and you are "ON" then this is hard. the mental side of getting the job done which leads to good 60fts and R.T. is the hardest part of the job. Concentration is key!! we have bikes now that have launch limiters and auto shifters with bars... hell get on release one button and let the computers do the work, just like playing a vidieo game!!!lol now strapping it on with a 60 in Turbo Busa (no Bars) or R1 with nitrous (stock arm) this gets hard and fun!!! anyone can launch 600's(some stil loop them too), but to race a liter bike like a 954 or r1 that is short wheelbase and likes to wheelie is awesome, now dont get me wrong i like chassis bikes, but with delay boxes and electronics like we have now its just likeplaying a video game(no skill required) so is it hard or easy.....look at a few articles where a few road racers went drag racing(i believe it was Duhammel or someone) their R.T. and 60ft were horrible for a pro racer, but this goes to show drag racing is not for everyone. sorry so long but is early in the morning and its finally getting close to race season!!woooo hooo!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:38 PM

oops

I used to thing that anyone can run fast in a straight line. I was wrong. I can't.

A few years back, some guys ran on the streets, about 45 minutes from where me and my riding buddies live. We went out there to see what this dragracing thing was all about. I mostly have problems with launching and got my ass handed to me by a stock F2 (I have a semi built ZX6D). I tried to feather the clutch, but only suceeded to do a wheelie, get it under control, and wheelie again. After about 2 more trys, and uncountable wheelies, my clutch was shot. I like roll ons better......

And the twisties......

C-Ya...Skiv

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:09 AM

simple if you can ride
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 12:02 PM

I find that drag racing is about the easist of the forms of bike racing until you get around or passed the horsepower of stock 750s, then it starts getting much harder. I have drag raced stock 750s, motocross, and cross country ATVs. I have gone several times to road race tracks with the intent of going through the race school, but each time I happen to witness 100mph get off just before and changed my mind. The big difference is the commitment. Drag racing takes the least amount of commitment for the casually racers. It only takes a few seconds of concentration, and it also takes the least amount of physical conditioning, so in that sense it is eaiser.

2003 ZR-7S
1999 Husqvarna CR 125
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I disagree with the conditioning comment. For example.......Take a close look at these drag racers:

1) Rickey Gadson
2) Dennis Keith
3) Brock Davidson
4) Matt Hines
5) Angelle Savoie
6) Karen Stoffer (183 mph get-off & LIVED!)
7) Aaron Brown

Just to name a few.

My question is at what level did you compete? Just 1 or 2 times cutting 1.0 lights or a committed racer that cuts 4.0 & 5.0 lights with wins & championships.

Any form of racing competition that is at an elevated level requires conditioning. Whether you are floating 3+G's around a 140+ mph corner or 3+G's from a hard launch off the line with a much smaller window of error @ 7,000+rpm's sticking 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 60' times. Seriously rethink your rationale. Because it lacks true merit and is "stereotypically" in great denial.

Food 4 Thought!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2003
http://www.2wheelpowerhour.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode