Oil filters..... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 600f3rider
Oil filters.....

Ok last dumb ? here. Is it possible to clog an oil filter with clutch fibers? How often do you pro's change your oil when drag racing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin_Johnny
Thumbs up

600f3rider..............I would prefer to change the filters 2x for every event or "test & tune". One before the event/practice and the second going into eliminations or mid day break. But for non-FACTORY teams this gets costly. Some change more frequently than this.

From the road race spectrum.............As an example. The oil & filter is changed after every qualifier, practice heat and/or race! This is info from my best friend whom is the "chassis builder" for MIGUEL DUHAMEL, HRC RACING.

Hope This Helps!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Well sort off. Here's the deal. I just changed my oil and filter less than 100 miles ago before i went drag racing. I did a total of 10 runs. I would like to go back and maybe do another 10 more. This is my daily driver though. What brought on the ? is that my bike is making a new noise but it could have been doing it before. I'm probably just being paranoid. It kind of ticks at idle (not continously) before it warms up and then it goes away after it warms up.

Anyways, i would change both the oil and filter after i'm done if i go again in 10 days. But would you reccomend changing the filter now? I didn't know how many runs you did before you raced.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin_Johnny
Lightbulb

Just to play it safe....Yes along with the oil also!

By doing this you can inspect the oil for any particles that should not be there. As for the noises.........Could be nothing. Or, it might be time for a valve adjustment.

When you drag race "wideopen" and also commute with the ride. Components may go out of tolerance much sooner than under normal conditions.

Hope This Helps!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:08 PM

F3 Rider,

I'm not sure if I had commented about that "ticking noise" here when I had the 96 F3 or if I had read it here from someone else' query, but I believe that is normal for that bike. I am almost 100% sure that that ticking noise was a characteristic of that bike whether I personally noticed when I had the bike. It was exactly as you described it; it made the noise from warmup but eventually went away.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rodm850g
oil filters

F3Rider,
I wanted to get in on this one too! Its cheap insurancefor sure!I always try to use OEM filters,it doesn't cost but a bit more to go with what was designe for your bike!For some home spun research on filters go to "[email protected]
The fellow is from central NC amd is honda mounted! interesting things found out about filters!

Rodm850g

damn all this talking/typing crap I'm going riding...
which one
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Well i got a new filter but haven't put it on yet. I'll put it on when i go again this friday (hopefully). I wish i could afford to change the oil and all every time but i can't and quite frankly as a college student i really don't have time or the $$$. Since i don't wheelie anymore or really beat on my bike i'm going to wait till i drag again change the filter before hand and then the oil after that time. Also my honda manual says to change the oil every 8000 miles, and i change about every 3000. So i figure 10 runs at the strip wouldn't be as hard on the clutch as 8000 miles of "normal" riding. I mean if you got 110 passes out of a clutch thats over 800,000 miles if 10 runs = 8000 miles. I also don't burn out at the strip. My tire grips well enough. I'm going to change this next time just to be safe though. Thanks for the info.

Found something interesting though. The filter part of that website seems to no longer work.

As for the oem filter part. I have an oem filter. A yahama filter. Ames has no honda dealership so i had to go to the yami place. I don't want to drive to des moines to get a new one. Interesting thing is that a lot of bikes use this particular type of filter. The r1, i think the 900 cbr does to but anyways there are quite a few. The mechanic said a lot of new bikes all call for this filter. Anyways though it was interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode