newbe to straight track - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Cool newbe to straight track

what would you all sugest as a good starter?? budget minded..i'm thinking on buying a frame or a wreck, starting from there... a weekender only.. it would be traillered.. i want something that i can build on,, right now i'm on an 87 fzr1000 and it can't be seriously built without MAJOR changes..most parts being to the 87 and 88 years...i was thinking suz1100 or kaw1000.. i am a familiar wrench (conv. from cars) and as an exanple it's cheaper to build a chevy.anyone have ideas?

"learning to fly""
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 11:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin_Johnny
Thumbs up

Both the Suzuki 1000/1100 & Kawasaki 1000/1100's will more than do the trick!

Specifically the GS1100ES and the ZX11C/D power plants are of NOTE! I have experience being on/around both and I prefer the ZX11!

The ZX11 looks like a drag bike when lowered and w/ bar! This bike with certain mods will break the 150mph barrier in the 1/4 mile............YEE HAA!

As for cheap, noticeable mods...........-1 or -2 on the countershaft, +2 or +3 on the rear, lower the beast and free flow the exhaust!

Hope This Helps!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:49 AM

Cool New Dragbike !

Johnny is right !

The ZX11 or 12 is a good start if you want a good dependable bike...

However the GSXR is like the small block chevy ! You can still get it in the 2002 Bandit, the Bandit was the 1st 7 second streetbike !
Suzuki is coming out with a 1400 cc bike from that same motor platform... air to oil cooled inline 4.

If you race the Yamaha & win ! They only pay in the cruiser class, However Kawasaki pays $200.00 to win on a watercooled bike & Suzuki pays $500.00

You make the choice !

I'm liking the way that GSXR1000 LOOK$....

Red, *<(:{)-

1998 Prostar West Super Gas top ten.
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004, Pro E/T #3, 2005, & 2006, Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 Motorcycle Drag Race Assoc. SS Champion !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 02:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
zx12!!!! i thought he said cheap??? maybe my idea of cheap is different than others, but i would think that a gs1100 or an old kawi triple (2 stroke, h2?) would be the ticket, or a kz900/1000. i think vhr and orient express still list big block kits for the kz and gs. plus 2 valve heads have to be a lot cheaper to flow.

when it started to look like i wouldn't be able to roadrace, i looked into buying something like this. i found a few "high 8's" bikes of this style for VERY little money (relatively). i don't remember exact numbers, but i remember being amazed how cheap they were.

but if you never did bracket racing or anything, why not use the fzr until you get a feel for it. drag racing a motorcycle isn't easy.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:54 AM

Thumbs up

Agreed Tony............Not an easy sport!

There are many intricacies as well as in road racing. THE BIG DIFFERENCE IS THAT A RIDER HAS ONLY 1 SHOT ON THE DRAG STRIP. So, near perfection is paramount.

I do agree that the ZX12 may be a bit more costly and more technical. The "all-around" choices for a start would be the GS's or the ZX11's. Depending on fzr1000's drag race experience level............His choice of machine should be relative.

NOT too many people are like Rickey Gadson whom started at the tender age of 9 on his Father's 900. If fzr1000 plans on racing his local circuit for $$ and not fun..............I would work into the ZX12R. If his racing be solely for sport and the enjoyment of the drag racing experience. I would say the GS1100 or the ZX11.

Johnny

JOHN BURR CYCLES, DYNAMIC POWDER COATING, WIDEOPEN CYCLE SERVICE, MOTUL, WEB CAM INC, ZERO GRAVITY, FLO-COMMANDER, AFAM, SIDI, PIRELLI/CRS, LP RACING.......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

sory for it taking so long for me to get back to this post... i like all the advice here, i think i'd have to take tony's route first. no experience, and basicly in it for the fun of it and to see if i have any future in it??? the gs1100.. something that never even crossed my mind... hmmm

"learning to fly""
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fzr1000
sory for it taking so long for me to get back to this post... i like all the advice here, i think i'd have to take tony's route first. no experience, and basicly in it for the fun of it and to see if i have any future in it??? the gs1100.. something that never even crossed my mind... hmmm

A GS would be a great bike to start on. Weld the crank and undercut the transmission and the things are just about indestructible..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:44 AM

The GS1100S or the GS1100ES (if you can find one) are outstanding machines for the drag racing beginner or advanced participant. The machine is very forgiving and SO MUCH can be done to it. THIS MACHINE CAN GO FAST............AND WILL GROW WITH YOU AS YOU GAIN EXPERIENCE.

Late!

Johnny

P.S. Check out our racer Joe Silva's "turbo" GS1100ES!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode