REPORT: Friday Night Drags - Firebird - 4/5/02 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to opossum Send a message via Yahoo to opossum
REPORT: Friday Night Drags - Firebird - 4/5/02

For those looking for an amusing drag racing story, here's a report from yesterday night's races, attended by several people from the Phoenix Sportbike Club. It's a long story, but entertaining...

PSC Racers: Me, Brent (Todius), Rob (TheHazmatKid)
PSC Witnesses: Kevin, AJ, Will, Jena, Raymond, Jeff, Mat

For me and Brent, the fun began at about 5pm. We left work downtown and were at a red light at Lincoln and 1st Ave. With no traffic anywhere on the street, I decide to see exactly how much I need to rev the bike before dumping the clutch. 250s aren’t exactly known for torque (14 ft-lbs at 9500 rpm), so we were both curious what it would take to get a respectable launch. With Brent watching, I bring the bike up to about 10k rpm and let go of the clutch lever. The front tire goes about a foot and a half up in the air! Okay, so maybe we won’t rev our bikes that high on our launches at Firebird. Or will we?

We meet up with Kevin and AJ, then head out to the track. Right away, Brent and I get crap from the tech inspection Commies. Despite the email from the NHRA tech guy saying we shouldn’t have a problem racing in full textiles, the techs won’t let us through! Kevin comes to the rescue, lends me his jacket, and now we’re in line with Rob awaiting our turn on the track. Unfortunately for everyone in attendance, it was also the night of a sanctioned AHDRA event. So not only were there dozens and dozens of cagers racing, but there were also a huge number of Harleys out there. The streetbike riders got it right in the ass from the Firebird crew, who was much happier giving respect to their regular customers – the ones with pimped out Integras and Civics that show up every Friday night. We were, however, able to run four times before calling it a night.

Round one of the 2-Fitty duel in the desert was pretty disgusting. Not much to go crazy about. Oh, and I redlighted! Brent wins! Rob ran just before we did. He appeared to have a mechanical problem that prevented him from keeping his front tire on the ground. I think he ran an 11.7, if I’m not mistaken.

Brent: 17.673 s, 76.90 mph, 3.053 s (60’)
Me: 16.762 s, 80.34 mph, 2.914 s (60’)

Round two was more than a full second quicker for me and slightly slower for Brent. Determined to bring my ETs way down, I flirted with clutchless shifting. After my first shift, I decided to try without the clutch for 3rd and 4th gears. I couldn’t believe how smooth it shifted! Despite shifting at 13k rpm with very, very little drop in the throttle, it was shifting straight into gear!

Brent: 17.826 s, 75.57 mph, 3.096 (60’)
Me: 15.604 s, 81.96 mph, 2.213 (60’)

You’ll notice that I’m not listing reaction times. It’s simple: they sucked. After round one, I think we were both more concerned about ET and didn’t really care what the R/T was. Given that it was our virgin experience racing the 2-fitties, it was a given that our reaction times would suck anyway. If there is a next time, maybe we’ll worry about that.

Round three is where ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!! For me, my clutchless shifting came back to bite me in the arse. Just after rolling on from my shift to 2nd gear, the bike dropped back down into neutral! The result was a slightly higher ET for me. But meanwhile, there was a serious circus act going on in the right lane! Determined to better his launch, Brent decides to drop the clutch at about 9k rpm, lean over the bike, and hold on for dear life. Brent promised Jena a wheelie, but little did he know he would actually do one! Without trying or even expecting to wheelie, BRENT THE 250 WHEELIE GOD pulls a mad wheelie in front of the PSC faithfuls! Though I was a bit preoccupied with my own run, I was told by those in attendance that he was almost vertical with the 2-fitty!!! With both feet off the pegs trying to stabilize his unexpected squid act, he then drops down from the shuttle takeoff and turns his best ET of the night thus far!!!

Brent: 17.392 s, 75.66 mph, 2.774 s (60’)
Me: 15.842 s, 81.03 mph, 2.211 s (60’)

I think our PSC faithfuls were in awe of Brent’s mad skeelz and were no longer able to stay. Kevin gets the award for “PSC Crew Chief of the Day” for bringing Brent a wad of toilet paper after Brent’s insane near-90 unexepected wheelie. Brent, you could have easily looped that bastid!!! Who says the 2-fitty has no grunt? Ha ha.

For round four, they decide to start running some of the bikes solo. Just as I start to line up they change their minds and throw a Hardley Ableson up against me. Before undoubtedly leaking oil and watching bolts vibrate loose from his bike, he proceeded to spank me like no other:

Harley: 9.828 s, 141.25 mph, 1.585 s (60’), 0.615 R/T
Me: 15.425 s, 82.30 mph, 2.141 s (60’)

Among the 2-fitty community, it’s an accepted fact that most of these tiny 250 engines die out shortly after 30,000 miles. If not, they’re normally down on power output by quite a bit. Having 33,700 miles on my bike the night of the races, I was quite pleased with my low time of 15.425! Most claims are that the stock 250 does between 15.5 and 15.8 in the quarter mile. A guy emailed me last week to tell me his best run was only 15.855 s @ 80.71 mph with a 2.201 s 60’ time. And he is 30 pounds lighter than I am! To add to my amazement, I was also running a 15T front sprocket instead of the stock 14, and also a much, much taller rear tire. My gearing is way higher than stock, but I still saw low 60’ times and much lower ETs. I couldn’t be happier! My bike isn’t dead yet!

Brent, I believe, was able to run solo for his fourth and final attempt. I have no clue how he did.

Overall, I had a blast at the track! A bit frustrating having to wait so long to race, given the number of people there that night. But the challenge of the event was nice. If only someone captured Brent’s historic shuttle launch on video! That would have been cool.

So, Zoom Jeff says he wants to try competing next time. Anyone else?

opossum.

”Good heavens Miss Sakamoto – you’re beautiful!”

Mason Convey – [email protected] – mtnbikeAZ (AIM) – mtnbike_AZ (Y!Messenger)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 10:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin_Johnny
Thumbs up

Very cool..................How is the track there? Our team will be out there to compete later this year. I hope to have my ZX6E up and running again after blowing the #3 conrod out of the case.

Machine's best pass ever:

.533 R/T 11.356 @ 120.998 MPH

We will be competing in the NMRA. The race will be held more than likely on a Saturday.

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to opossum Send a message via Yahoo to opossum
How is the track there?

I have no clue. Running 15.5s doesn't give me the ability to assess track condition. It could be a dirt track and it wouldn't affect my runs at that speed.

Come post on the PSC forum when you head out here and maybe we'll be available to come watch!

opossum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode