Sportbike World banner

05/07/01 - Dragging your knee.

23K views 74 replies 42 participants last post by  apexismaximus 
#1 ·
Have you ever dragged your knee either on the street or on the track?

Only when I crashed and then I dragged my knee for about 50 feet. :D Otherwise, no, but I wanna learn.

#5 · (Edited)
748 abuser said:

Arkansas State Trooper: "You use those 'kneepads' when you turn?"

Me: "No Sir, I use them for times like this.":D

OK, I had to think for just a second on that one and then I just about wet my pants!! :D LMAO

Oh, and I have yet to get a knee down. I didn't have sliders until this year and the first track day is in two weeks. I'll stick it out there on the street but I told myself I wouldn't "try" to get it down until we went to the track. One of my buddies told me that the first time I get it down is more likely to be one of the times I'm not thinking about it and it's going to scare the crap out of me. I thanked him for that confidence inspiring bit of wisdom. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
In defense of street knee draggin'

On actual streets and roads through intersections and stuff: NO, not me not ever...
BUT,
There are a few places on the Beltway around Washington DC where there are PERFECT corners hidden in entrance and exit ramps on I-270, I-495, etc...

I mean its crazy, there's one that is banked a little, completely even radius and smooth as hell.

Oh man, I take it in a sports car at 55mph, get four wheel drift, etc...

On my bike, I could EASILY just drop the knee (but no pucks...not yet). As safe as it gets ;)

#8 ·
Change my No to a Yes. Last track day. It's wierd, once I felt where it was, I dragged almost every lap after that. Kind of like learning to snowboard. Can't do it, can't do it, can't do it, and then once you do it's like "Oh, duhhh."

#11 ·
I dragged for the first time last weekend at Summit Point, JC. The first time was exactly 1 lap before I crashed in the same turn (see "popped our track cherry" in club racing and track days forum), and then just about every lap afterwards. Even touched down the left on the last turn before the back straight. After that it just kind of clicked and I was able to use it as a gauge for my lean angle. Too bad I killed the excitement by wadding it up. Oh well... :)

#12 ·
Clockwise at Summit Point Jefferson Circuit turn One. Last week at the track day my right knee Puck, Toe Puck, Rear Brake Lever, Foot Peg and lower fairing...easy.
It seemed like so much pressure was on my leg that the tires were lifting a bit limiting traction.
The left side is limited on my bike due the funky kickstand, but I've got that thing worn just about to a nub.

If your going to be doing a few track days and your toe pucks are scraping, order new pucks as they shrink quickly.

#15 ·
perfect corners on the beltway eh....

hey cliffrock, which ones are they exactly, I'll check them out this weekend. Oh by the way, do you ever go to metro weekend nights? Sometimes they got some nice bikes up there.There is this guy with a sweet ass R1 which has those... what do you call them:confused: I guess you would call them strobe lights.... the white lights that are flashing when his bike is off, and he's just sitting there. I've never seen those on a bike before, but all them imports have them.
Oh, and to go with the topic.... no I haven't dragged my knee yet.

#19 ·
748 abuser said:

I can't say, Red. I can't do either of them, but I sure do think it looks cool!
;) :cool:
That's OK man, what's important is that you try.;) :D For kneedragging just do what I do: Hook the bootheel of your outside leg under the edge of the seat and hang off so far that you don't have to do any of that scary leaning stuff to get a kneedown. Works like a charm and it looks really cool too! People will think you're the shit.:cool:

#20 ·
Birdman said:
That's OK man, what's important is that you try.;) :D For kneedragging just do what I do: Hook the bootheel of your outside leg under the edge of the seat and hang off so far that you don't have to do any of that scary leaning stuff to get a kneedown. Works like a charm and it looks really cool too! People will think you're the shit.:cool:
LOL! Bonehead.:D :D

Oh, wait a second, I don't wear boots. It's tennis shoes for this guy!

#21 ·
748 abuser said:

LOL! Bonehead.:D :D

Oh, wait a second, I don't wear boots. It's tennis shoes for this guy!
Tennis shoes will work but to pull it off you have to get the ones with the flashing lights in the heel. They pull the most tail.....:D :cool:

Personally, I bought the flashiest boots I could find. Get the Sidi vertebra race ones with the chrome on them. Shine 'em up and your good to go. Don't wear jeans though because you'll just cover 'em up and that ruins the effect. Shorts are the only way to go. Really shows off the boots. Oh, and get some sparking knee sliders to strap to your legs. A complex back protector with no shirt is a good idea too. All the gear really shows people how fast you are. If you decide to wear a helmet (I recommend just a pair of Oakleys but to each his own) make sure you get one with a shark fin on top. Don't bother to thank me. I'm always willing to mentor a new rider. :D:D

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, I get my knee down all over the place.. sorry, I'm a criminal, I know.
After almost 5 seasons of racing and track days, I can still ride with a comfortable margin of error, and if my knee is just skimming the ground I find it A LOT easier to judge corner speed and lean angle.
This does NOT however mean that I think this is a SAFE way to ride around town on your way to work! There is way too much sheeot on the street to go that quick in town. If your going to do it, make sure you go to you're favorite "closed testing facility", then pre-ride the section of road you're going to go 'balls-out' on BEFORE you go 'balls out'.

Play safe!:)

#23 ·
Oh, and dont forget your sparkly kneesliders! A few friends of mine and I have those for track days.. pass a guy on the outside and shower him with sparks... too much fun!

#24 ·
kevie88 said:
Oh, and dont forget your sparkly kneesliders! A few friends of mine and I have those for track days.. pass a guy on the outside and shower him with sparks... too much fun!
That was you?!! :mad: ;) Just kidding. Nice picture. Forget dragging knees it looks like you could drag your head on that concrete wall.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.