Windex on visor? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:21 PM

From the Windex site:

... Can I use Windex® on all types of windows and mirrors?
On glass windows, mirrors, and Plexiglas®, Windex® cleaners work great. They're fast and easy, and they cut right through dirt and grime. Just spray on Windex® and wipe it off for a streak-free shine.

If you plan to use Windex® on your tinted windows, test a small area first. Care of tinted windows may vary.

For all of you airplane and helicopter owners, we're sorry, but Windex® is not formulated to clean your LEXAN® windows." ...

I use Dish soap, S10, or Honda spray cleaner and a micro fiber or soft cloth to clean my wind shields/screens/bike, works fine for me. I remember hearing a long time ago that ammonia was not good for plastics as r3yrey said.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Benn using predominently Windex for my whle time riding. I use a helmet for two to three years before I stop using them, and the faceshield I start with is the one on the helmet when I'm done. Never noticed any discoloration or anything.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 09:19 PM

so i guess it depends on how often you put windex on the visor and how much... cause i was told by one of the reps from vega helmets that ammonia can cause cloudiness or make the visor "opaque".

anyhow, if its one of those $99 helmet i probbly wont care, but for the $400 one, I wont take my chance.... scratch that... visors can easily be replaced! so i guess its no problem

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by r3yrey
so i guess it depends on how often you put windex on the visor and how much... cause i was told by one of the reps from vega helmets that ammonia can cause cloudiness or make the visor "opaque".

anyhow, if its one of those $99 helmet i probbly wont care, but for the $400 one, I wont take my chance.... scratch that... visors can easily be replaced! so i guess its no problem
I don't know honestly I am in NC and end up with bugs and junk on my shield every ride. So I'm cleaning my shield after every ride.

I've used Plexxus on occasion, and really liked it. I think they even make a small can, so I may have to look for it.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
I don't know honestly I am in NC and end up with bugs and junk on my shield every ride. So I'm cleaning my shield after every ride.

lol.. i live in AL and i go to Mt.Cheaha every weekend to ride the twisties and i swear, it feels like i'm hitting every bug from my house to the mt. and back! so yeah me too, i clean my bike and my helmet pretty often. I guess i'l try using windex or plexus on my visor/shield. I do know that they have alcohol on them so i guess that helps with fogging too!

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:22 AM

R3yray, how long do you expect your visors to last? I use windex all the time, and replace my visors once a year because of scratches, not because they are chemically damaged.

You shouldnt keep your helmet for more than 5 years, and I have serious doubts you will see signs of chemical damage to your visor during that time. When its a high priced item like a airplane window, I understand the precations, but on a $35 visor?

Hell, even with a fancy $70 one, I think you will spend more on a fancy cleaner than a replacement shield.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 AM

lol i see! i wouldnt worry about it too much then! thnks

btw.. i didnt know youre suppiose to get new helmets every 5 years? ever with no incidents? not even dropping the helmet to the ground?

anyway... I'm new to motorcycling... i learn something everyday i'm on this forums... thanks for the advice!

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by r3yrey
lol i see! i wouldnt worry about it too much then! thnks

btw.. i didnt know youre suppiose to get new helmets every 5 years? ever with no incidents? not even dropping the helmet to the ground?

anyway... I'm new to motorcycling... i learn something everyday i'm on this forums... thanks for the advice!
Yeah bro... the reaction from your sweat on the materials in the lining of the helmet breaks down the materials. I sweat a lot, and I'm in NC, plus, I tend to put a LOT of effort into my riding at times. So I change out every two years or so.

It's amazing. Try a new helmet of the same make and size after you have worn yours for a while, and you will see and hear the difference.

Dan
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Also the shell continues to harden untill it becomes brittle.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020
Also the shell continues to harden untill it becomes brittle.
I've heard about that, but never any substantiation on whether it's UV, chemical, or otherwise.

Where did you hear about that? I'd love to read/hear more because I've asked about it and never got any straight answers

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode