rubbing compound. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

rubbing compound.

I have a bottle of 3m rubbing compound and I use it whenever I wash my bike. I know this is a wierd question but should I invest in some meguiars carnuba wax and use the rubbing compound like once a month? The bike always looks beautiful after I use the rubbing compount but it leave paint on the buffin towel I use and I'm afraid I'm gonna keep rubbing off the paint.

Hello mother leopard, I have your cub, you must protect her but that will be expensive. 10,000 collanuts wraped in brown paper, midnight, behind the box, I'll be the Hyena..You'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to flyboy1986 Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1986
That's what rubbing compound does, it eliminates scratches, by evening out the surface of the paint, use it when the finish gets real dull etc. etc. look into polishing compound for MAYBE once every month or two and get a good wax read this subforum for some of the major opinions on whats good. By the way If you are getting the paint color on the cloth it may already be too late for the clear coat so Be real carefull with any abrasive chemicals (possibly including polishing compound) and keep a goood coat of wax on it this will help prevent scratches, swirls, and dull finishes
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 04:53 AM

just wondering if you got paint on the towel, was you bike repainted and if that is the case, if PAINT is getting on the towel what happen to the clear coat?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to flyboy1986 Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1986
if I wans't clear on hopw rubbing compound works allow me to elaborate, it evens out the surface of paint where a scratch is by removing all the paint down to the level of the scratch, through regular repeated use it will eventually remove the paint. in this case I would say his clear coat is already toast and therefor he needs to be real carefull about the products he uses
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

bikes been repainted with Dupont 2 in one paint and clear mix, it weas the previous owner. I'm gonna end up sanding it all down an putting a real custom paint job on it but for the mean while I just want to keep the current paint looking good.

thanks guys I'll cut down on the compound and buy some wax.

Hello mother leopard, I have your cub, you must protect her but that will be expensive. 10,000 collanuts wraped in brown paper, midnight, behind the box, I'll be the Hyena..You'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode