Sportbike World banner

rubbing compound.

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FinSol 
#1 ·
I have a bottle of 3m rubbing compound and I use it whenever I wash my bike. I know this is a wierd question but should I invest in some meguiars carnuba wax and use the rubbing compound like once a month? The bike always looks beautiful after I use the rubbing compount but it leave paint on the buffin towel I use and I'm afraid I'm gonna keep rubbing off the paint.

#2 ·
That's what rubbing compound does, it eliminates scratches, by evening out the surface of the paint, use it when the finish gets real dull etc. etc. look into polishing compound for MAYBE once every month or two and get a good wax read this subforum for some of the major opinions on whats good. By the way If you are getting the paint color on the cloth it may already be too late for the clear coat so Be real carefull with any abrasive chemicals (possibly including polishing compound) and keep a goood coat of wax on it this will help prevent scratches, swirls, and dull finishes

#4 ·
if I wans't clear on hopw rubbing compound works allow me to elaborate, it evens out the surface of paint where a scratch is by removing all the paint down to the level of the scratch, through regular repeated use it will eventually remove the paint. in this case I would say his clear coat is already toast and therefor he needs to be real carefull about the products he uses

#5 ·
bikes been repainted with Dupont 2 in one paint and clear mix, it weas the previous owner. I'm gonna end up sanding it all down an putting a real custom paint job on it but for the mean while I just want to keep the current paint looking good.

thanks guys I'll cut down on the compound and buy some wax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.