What to avoid while washing/cleaning?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

What to avoid while washing/cleaning??

im just on my first bike, its a nice sunny day today, lookin to wash it nicely and make it look nice and clean.

just wunderin wut products..such as dish soap or sumthin to avoid

and what things shuld i avoid while washing it??? like dont spray water into teh SRAD system rite?? ( i own a 1999 gsxr 600) lol

and i heard sumthin bout not gettin water sumwhere on the wheels, or at least tryin to avoid it...wut bout under the seat where the battery is?? can i take the seat off and spray everything down?? or will battery get screwed?? wut bout passenger seat, there's cable and stuff there goin to tail light, shuld i not remove the seat and wash under???

i jsut dont want to hurt my new baby, or have to pay to get sumthin fixed b/c of my stupidity

any info appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
I wouldn't worry to much about washing your bike. They are built to survive riding in heavy rain, I've done it, so a wash isn't going to hurt. I would plug your exhaust though. Just take some siran (sp) and a rubber band and cover the outlet on the slip-on just to make sure you don't get water in it, if you do, its not likely to hurt much, just better not to. Make sure your fuses are covered under your seat. Mine sit in a little plastic box with a lid on them and that does a pretty good job at keeping the water out, if water get on them the worst that happens is they pop and you need to replace them, a big $3. As for the rest, just wash it with regular car was and wax it with whatever you please. I use Miguirars (sp) wax wich does a pretty good job, but its just personal prefferance. If its your first wax, you might compound the whole bike to make sure the old crap is off and that any minor imperfections don't get waxed on. The only HUGE no no when washing a bike is DO NOT USE TIRE SHINE! Don't use any kind of tire cleaner, they are designed for cars, a bikes tires are suppose to stick to the road and the shine makes them slippery and will cause you to wreck. Some people don't like to use Armor All on their seats, I use it though. It does make the seat a little more slick until it soaks in, but as long as your not out stunting, I haven't had a problem with it. Make sure you lube your chain as well. I washed my bike once a week, and lubed it right afterwards. The soap and water can, usually won't, but can wash off the lube on the chain. Spray your chain down and let it sit over night so it can soak in and won't splatter all over your clean bike when you go to ride. If you do ride right after washing your bike, take it VERY easy, your tires will be slick from the soap and water and won't warm up and stick as easily as they normally would. If you clean any of the aluminum of magnesuim on your bike, go and get a can of Mothers aluminum and mag polish. It will perk it right up. Just don't use it on any chrome because it will scratch the crap out of it. Thats about all I can think of. Don't worry to much about it, its just a bath for your bike. While a bike may look fragile compared to a car, and can be a bit more finicky, they are very durable and a little bit of water won't hurt them.

Have fun,
Sepias

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to mainerdr
What to avoid while washing bikes.

Contrary to what many believe you need not wear a speedo, g-string or bananna hammok. (unless your a hot chick)
So for the rest of you... GEAR UP & wear pants.

The top ten for washing your sweet ride.

1) avoid spraying hose directly into the ram air intake
2) avoid filling up your exhaust system with wather for fun.
3) avoid spraying the tires with anything that will leave a film, or dry/crack the rubber.
4) avoid getting any soap in your eyes it will sting burn and make you look like you just burned a big Jibber.
5) avoid putting any chemicals other than a mild soap on carbon fiber exhaust cans.
6) avoid spraying water in the gas tank or oil fill hole. This will not be a good thing.
7) avoid spraying water in your helmet, this may cause you to have a wet head and bad hair if you do not allow it to dry.
8) avoid spraying water on the engine or exhaust when the bike is very hot. (allow time for it to cool before you spray it off)
9) avoid spraying any young child directly in the face with the hose while washing your bike.
10) when done washing your sweet ride you may want to wipe it down so it does not have water spots and start the engine to let it idol for a bit (a bit does not signify a few hours) this will help dry the inside of your plastics and water around the engine to help from flying off while riding and making you look like your friend pee'd on your leg.

These are my words of wisdom. Once experienced with motorcycle washing you need only heed numbers 1,2,3,8 & 10

Good luck and wash safely.
- wear your gear....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Strength and Honor

Re: What to avoid while washing bikes.

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
The top ten for washing your sweet ride.

1) avoid spraying hose directly into the ram air intake
2) avoid filling up your exhaust system with wather for fun.
3) avoid spraying the tires with anything that will leave a film, or dry/crack the rubber.
4) avoid getting any soap in your eyes it will sting burn and make you look like you just burned a big Jibber.
5) avoid putting any chemicals other than a mild soap on carbon fiber exhaust cans.
6) avoid spraying water in the gas tank or oil fill hole. This will not be a good thing.
7) avoid spraying water in your helmet, this may cause you to have a wet head and bad hair if you do not allow it to dry.
8) avoid spraying water on the engine or exhaust when the bike is very hot. (allow time for it to cool before you spray it off)
9) avoid spraying any young child directly in the face with the hose while washing your bike.
10) when done washing your sweet ride you may want to wipe it down so it does not have water spots and start the engine to let it idol for a bit (a bit does not signify a few hours) this will help dry the inside of your plastics and water around the engine to help from flying off while riding and making you look like your friend pee'd on your leg.
#4 and #9 combined make for great fun for those of us with kids, so I'll have to pull the

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 06:56 PM

Re: What to avoid while washing bikes.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mainerdr

LOL, this is the best part though!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Also, if you decide to use a spong or rag MAKE SURE ITS CLEAN AND THEIR ARE NO ROCKS OR SMALL PARTICLES IN IT. They will scratch your baby. Scratch it bad.

"Ride like there's no tomorrow--and there will be no tomorrow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode