Chain Cleaning - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Wink Chain Cleaning

Just wondering how others clean there chain and how often, myslef I clean once every two weeks, I use WD-40 to clean with low pressure air to get in between, wipe off excess with cotton cloth, paper towel suck, low pressure again, then finish with my choice of chain wax....in fact its time to clean today

How many use those automatic chain oilers, I bought one a few years back but never attached it to my bike.

Now by me using WD-40 is that good or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 03:45 PM

I clean my chain about every two weeks worth of riding, which is around 600km (390mi).

I use a spray bottle full of kerosene. I put the bike up on its centre stand and slowly turn the rear wheel, spraying the chain as it goes around. I put an old rubber car mat between the chain and wheel, to keep the kero off the tyre.

I wait for the chain to dry, then use a Castrol anti-flick spray-on chain lube, leaving it to dry overnight, before wiping away the excess in the morning.

BTW, there are many threads on this topic. I suggest you do a search.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks cookeetree I did do the search, right after posting this and found a lot of info but thanks for your input

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 04:36 PM

Welcome!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 PM

WD 40

The service manager at Kissimme MotorSports where I bought my bikes at said I shouldn't use WD40 on the chain but instead a lubricant made for chains.

Ended up buying a can of chain lube at my shop for employee costs. Even the service guys at my shop say WD40 is not a good choice for chain lube.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Karnij, I'd be surprised if more than one in a hundred riders have a clue on how to lube a chain. Most just use what I call the add, add, add method. They just keep spraying on more and more layers of some filthy, sticky goop that does nothing but attract and hold huge amounts of road grime and grit. WD-40 has only one possible use here and that is as a cleaning agent and should only be used as a substitute for proper cleaning. The point to remember here is that nearly all chains are O-Ring or X-Ring type and as such you can't get any lube into the load carrying pin area anyway. Other than lubricating the rollers, a chain lube only serves to protect the chain from water and corrosion.

Kerosene, WD-40 or other thin oils can flush off much of the dirt and grime but they're oils and will leave an oily film all over everything. You don't prepare to paint a wall by spraying oil all over it, do you? You want the chain to be absolutely clean and 'free' of oils before applying chain lube. I prefer to gunk my chain during a typical washing. Gunk makes the kerosene water-solulable. When the bike and chain are clean you must then get all the water off the chain, as you don't want to seal any water hiding beneath the rollers under the lube. If you donít have an air compressor you can simply take the bike for a short ride to sling off any water. Then apply a good quality chain lube; I prefer chain wax, for several reasons. Last and perhaps most important you must now wipe off all the excess lube. I use a loose nap towel, such as an old face towel. Be very careful here not to get your fingers caught between the chain and sprocket. You'll need to get the rear tire off the ground to do this effectively, but that's another subject.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 PM

DaveL,

Great post and absolutly superlative home shop. I commend you. I am wondering what exactly is "gunk?" It is this a brand name of some chemical? Please fill me in.

Thanks!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVaF4i View Post
DaveL,

Great post I commend you. I am wondering what exactly is "gunk?"
I agree good post.

I have this week spent 4hrs cleaning my chain using WD40 & Diesel fuel, I purchased a can of 'air blaster' to blow off excess then drying with towels.
Instaed of retreating chain with lube I've used a teflon coating which is a dry lube (no throw off).
Gunk in the UK is now very hard to get hold of, save the world & all that.
It is a good de-greaser but will if left on chain to long or forced on under pressure remove the lube between 'o' rings thus shortening life of chain.

hope this makes sense & helps
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM

cartell,
Sounds like you've got a handle on it, all except for the can of compressed air. Those things are almost useless. If you don't have an air compresssor I'd opt for just takin the bike out for a fast 5 or 10 minute spin. You're going to wind up sealing the water in only to find rust oozing out later on. I've used those cans on computer keyboards and they're useless there too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 PM

I have to agree with you up to a point, they can be useful for removing dents from car bodywork or tank on bike and it wont crack the piantwork

If Carsberg make one I'll have mine shaved.

I have 2 toys one is my bike the other smells of fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode