Muffler Polish - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Muffler Polish

I was just wondering what you guys use to polish your mufflers. I've got a matte finish muffler on my mike so i don't know if it's safe to use all those chrome polish deals. However i still want to bring out a deep gloss out of those tailpipes... any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:06 AM

Re: Muffler Polish

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_drz
I was just wondering what you guys use to polish your mufflers. I've got a matte finish muffler on my mike so i don't know if it's safe to use all those chrome polish deals. However i still want to bring out a deep gloss out of those tailpipes... any suggestions?
hmm.....I was going to suggest mother's mag metal polish...but not for a matte finish.

this metal care page might help

http://www.goddards.com/html/metalCareTips.htm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 PM

just get some alcohol wipe the pipe down with that and then go back over it with a soft towel, itll shine like new

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 PM

If you mean it has a non-shiny aluminum finish, not painted (which is what I think when you say "matte"), Flitz polish is the best for any metal polishing. Not abrasive, you can use it on plexiglass with no scratches.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 04:19 AM

i agree with fuster. flitz is a great product that most people don't know about. give it a shot.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
if its a "matte" finish (meaning a painted surface with no clear coat), i would only reccomend washing it with soap and water like you would wash your bike. then dry with a chamois. by using chemicles or metal polishes it may start to remove some of the "matte" finish.

i have a D&D slip-on which has a black satin finish on the can. i only use soap/water to clean it when i wash the bike. and it comes out clean and shiney.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

haha, I started this thread almost a year ago. Better late than never. Yea I wasn't clear when i said matte. It's not painted it's just a dull metal finish. Not shiney, but still reflective... don't know if that makes sense... but seems like fusters got the idea. I've scratched the pipes up nicely ever since i first posted this. I'll give this flitz stuff a try thanks.

Last edited by mike_drz; 08-14-2006 at 03:21 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
so its a metal looking finish, just not polished mirror finish. thats an easy one. ANY metal polish will clean it up. now, if you want to turn it into a mirror finish you can always do the sanding method. or remove the pipe and take in to get polished with a buffing wheel and metal polish.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode