Sanding - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Angry Sanding

Hey I need to sand off some touch up paint I used on my bike and re-do it, what grit of sandpaper would be good for the plastic right fairing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to fauzt0
your best bets is like the highest smoothest grit out...and use a pencil eraser type object so you dont sand the entire area...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 08:48 PM

This might be the hardest and longest way, but you could do some wet sanding. I don't remember what grit is best, but you can buy it in an assorted pack. That way you won't have to worry about getting out deep scratches. End with a really lite grit paper and some lite rubbing compound. And you should have a good shine.

I had dropped my bike when I first got it. Which left a pretty big scratch on the plastic. I did the above and it turned out really well. The only way you could tell was if the sun hit it just right.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 07:52 PM

The problem you may have is while sanding the "wound" you will damage the surrounding original refinished area..Which means that now you may have to apply touch up paint to an area bigger than the first time. Kind of like a band-aid,the area that covers larger than the hole. Maybe be the lesser of two evils though. Not knowing what the touch paint was,lacquer usually if its in a little brush bottle,try a solvent first, lacquer thinner, enamel paint reducer next guess. If sanding seems like the only way to go,I suggest wet sanding with 800-1000. Tape all around so the sand scratches dont get much past the area. Even though you could make it easier by more course paper,the scratches require more work to hide with polishing. The reason I suggested solvent is mainly that normally brushed on paint isnt clearcoated,as is the original finish,hence will be more subjected to solvent affecting it. Give a re-post se how ya doing..Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode