question about waxing - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

question about waxing

i noticed that the stripes and alot of the other graphics on my 04 gixxer is just stickers, i plan on washing and waxing my car tommorow, can i wax even over the stickers? will it damage the stickers or do i need to wax around them?

also, this might sounds stupid but im a new rider here, do i need to cover anything up when washing off my bike? is their anything that can;t get wet?

GSX-R 600 alstare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 04:24 AM

Re: question about waxing

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyMontana
also, this might sounds stupid but im a new rider here, do i need to cover anything up when washing off my bike? is their anything that can;t get wet?
i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no, you don't need to cover anything up. i don't have a gixxer however i would assume it should be fine to wash becuase if there was an issue if something got wet, then you'd never be able to ride in the rain.

as far as waxing, use Pledge. yes, thats right, the furniture spray. it works awesome, repels dust, it is a wax, it doesn't damage stickers, and its fast.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

what about lets say meguiars wax products, will those harm the stickers? something about using wood polish on my new bike dosen;t sounds too good

GSX-R 600 alstare

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 09:35 AM

pledge isn't a wood polish, its a wax.

meguiars wax products SHOULD be fine too. its no different that polishing boarts with it. boats have decals. it should be fine. i don't use it. i use Pledge.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 04:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja250F18
I use Meguyers wax and buster wax, and love it.

Burn rubber not your soul, Ruff Riders for life.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
how to clean a bike (the basics):

1. DEGREASE. start at one end of the bike and work toward the other. approach this in a methodical way. i start be applying a degreaser to parts that attrach unwanted oily dirt; rear wheel, suspension linkages, and engine areas. i use a soft paint brush to do this. hard ones can damage the paint.

2. SOAP AND RINSE. clean degreaent off with a low-salt dertgent. normal household stuff often has a high alkaline content and can hasten corrosion. i use a soft spong to apply soapy water, and another to wash it off. then dry with cotton or chamois cloth. it's also good to do this in the shade, as the sun may cuase streaking.

3. LUBE / POLISH. places that you dont want to soak in water are thinks like the chain, piviot points, and other exposed moving parts. these are oiled for a reason and you dont want to wash that oil / grease off with out reappling it. your owners manula should have lube specs on things like the chain, throttle, brake line, etc. and of course we don't want to get any water down the exhuast. if you've got chrome, polish it often (well, actully any unprotected metal should polished). then finish up with wax on the paint jobs.

if you wanna get real tech, you can remove fairings and seat, silicon spray switches, check the grease on swingarm suspension, control pedals, etc and get out the tooth brush for hard to reach area's, etc.

did i miss anything?

keeps his bike super-clean,
-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 06:00 PM

Scarface:

Some waxes may contain petroleum based products that will dissolve colored material used in the manufacture of some bike decals. Most of the liquids will be the highest risk whereas pastes tend to have less of these solvents.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Stain
I've never been any good at waxing, unless it one of those "Wash and Wax" I think the do in alright job. And on top wax has to be applied at the right temp not to hot not to cold.

Live hard, ride hard, be hard and die fast.
I work on computer for a living, and I sure hate them a lot.

www.myspace.com/genocide_king
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:21 AM

I normally just start my bike when its cold to wash it.. Just to make sure no water gets in the exhaust and such..

I just give it a very very light spraying.. then apply some hondabrite to it.. I dry it with a shammie or however you spell it those rags that absorb mosture then ring them out.. When it gets done i just use meguires spray on and wipe wax to finish it when its dry.. Also i lube the chain and anything else that needs relubed.. Ur suppost to do ur chain when its been rode but i just do it when its cold..

04' Gsxr 1k

Show or go?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 PM

Hi All-

My methodology is extremely similar to Chris Sedition's technique, except that I work from top to bottom because the lower portion of the bike collects the grit that could scratch a paintjob. I use warm (not hot) water with lots of vehicle-specific detergents and degreasing agents.

Another thing, if you drop your sponge on the ground...DO NOT USE IT AGAIN until you have run it through the clotheswasher with a load of other laundry. The sponge will pick up microscopic grains of sand that will ruin your paint. This tip was given to me by a top-line automotive detailer and I've never forgotten it.

Once I have entered the waxing phase, I use Mother's Carnauba products with great success. Between major cleaning and polishing sessions I used Lemon Pledge spray and it does a wonderful job. Bicycle racers have known this trick for decades.

I've ridden to my annual college homecoming on my motorcycle many times since graduation. It is hundreds of miles away, so when I reach the outskirts of town, I stop at a gas station to wipe the bugs off my leathers, wash my face, and brush my teeth. I then use one of those ziplock bags of Lemon Pledge Handi-Wipes to do a "mini-detail" of my entire motorcycle, boots, and full-face helmet. I then pull into campus looking good, feeling great, and smelling lemony fresh. It certainly makes it easier for one to turn heads when one's sportbike is gleaming.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode