Is there anything better than S100 out there to clean a bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Is there anything better than S100 out there to clean a bike?

This stuff is really good and it works great, but is there anything else out there that works better? I need to know if there is. Any replies would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

The road less traveled is always the road best taken!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 10:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Soap, water, and simple green.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:50 PM

No no no no no. NO.

First, there's two kinds of washing.

Type 1. Getting all kinds of grime, dirt, junk, and crap off.

Type 2. Getting the bike showroom looking.

For type 1, you have your S100, soap, water, that kinda stuff. Honda Brite works pretty damn well, and it's somewhere in between type 1 and type 2. A pretty dirty bike that's not REALLY super dirty, will be made way nicer than a soap and water wash, in just 2 minutes. So it's the lazy man's way to get as close to showroom as you can get without spending a whole hour on washing the bike.

For Type 2, of course, you need to learn the M word. Meguiar. Hehhhhh... An old geezer of a bike looks better than your new bike after it dances with the M. Meguiar makes about 15-20 different products for every different situation though, so it takes some learning. I'll be brief...

Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - gets your windscreen (and helmet visor) looking new and scratchless.

Gold Class Soap - washes the bike without removing waxes and protectant layers. Mild pH balanced.

Scratch Remover and various grades of Hand Polish - takes out swirls and minor scratches.

Polish - takes out even finer scratches and makes the clear coat glass smooth like a mirror, while at the same time giving a coat of highly reflectant lustre.

Gold Class Wax or Carnauba #1 Wax - the best wax available. On top of the polish, it thickens the depth of the shine, and seals it in for weeks, provided you regularly use:

Detailer Mist - gets a previously Meguiar-treated bike back to showroom with one wipe down, because it enhances the luster of the wax without removing it, while taking away all microscopic dust and dirt.

There are a lot more products to learn about, but I had to learn it myself... at least you have a clue where to start for a bike that is permanently in showroom condition.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 02:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to the955iman
No no no no no

Best advice and description I could have imagined seeing here.
Nice job.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:50 PM

S 100 is the easiest that Iíve found. REMEMBER to wash it when itís cool and not in the sun and rinse really good. Another tick I use in washing the big comes at the end. Use a cheap new leaf blower to dry/blow the water off your bike after rinsing. It will get the water out of all those little cracks that drip and splat all day.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 PM

If you have to wash dirt off, depends on how much time you have. I think water and dishwashing soap work the best (not too much soap).

If grease is being removed, water and Simple Green is good, so is Turtle Wax spray Bug and Tar Remover (wash over with water after wiping the grease). 3M also makes a grease remover for prepping paint. Can get it on their web site. You can make your own paint prep, not quite as good, by using a 10:1 mix of water and rubbing alcohol (works on mild and thin layers of grease or oil, not big blobs of it).

I use car engine cleaner to get grease off of the engine and swing arm. Sometimes use it on the rear wheel to remove fling off.

Saeng's "Can Do" spray wax/cleaner is what I use for that 10 minute cleaning before meeting with the boys for a ride.

On days where I use soap and H2O I use 3M wax, sometimes preceded by buffing with appropriate grade compound, then final cover is with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or 3M Show Car Glaze. The latter is a spray and really brings out a "wet look" shine if you polish the paint first and then wax it before spraying this stuff on.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:45 AM

If you want a quick wash use simple green on the hard stuff let it sit for a couple min. use soft brush and rinse the whole bike. Then use some PLEXUS on the whole bike, excluding exhaust (use mothers), and the bike will look showroom new. Also use PLEXUS in between washes to keep it looking great. The key to any good looking bike is not how but how often. Just my
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 04:15 AM

I use Motul bike wash - pretty much a spray on, 2 minute soak, and rinse off. You might need to wipe a few areas with a soft cloth or soft cloth brush (careful!) if it is really cruddy. I usually go over the plastic and painted areas afterwards with Plexus (man that's good stuff!!).

Oh - and the leaf blower idea earlier in the thread - works like a charm.

A pilot calls to the tower, "Tower, please call me a fuel truck."

Tower responds, "Roger. You are a fuel truck."

Flying is still the safest way to travel.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 06:08 PM

Whats S100!?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 07:07 PM

Its just a spray on bike wash.

http://www.properautocare.com/s1totcycclea.html

I use Motul - similar stuff but I like it better. You spray it on, let it soak for a couple of minutes, use a soft brush or cloth for any heavy nasty areas, and hose off. Bike is clean in about 10 minutes max.

A pilot calls to the tower, "Tower, please call me a fuel truck."

Tower responds, "Roger. You are a fuel truck."

Flying is still the safest way to travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode