what do you consider to be the best commonly available car wax? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

what do you consider to be the best commonly available car wax?

I want something that I can get at the local walmart or auto parts store, all 3 of my vehicles are black, I was want something for shine and protection, what do you think of meguires gold class? what about black magic or zymolie? paste or liquid? thanks

2002 B&W GSX-R 750,Graves Full Ti System, PC 3 R,TRE "Switchable",CR9EIX Iridium, Galfer SS brake lines,Framesliders, L&P Intergrator kit, L&P front flush mounts,ZG DB smoked screen,86Z28 redone from the ground up and worked, Ready for road racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I personally like Meguire's. I use the liquid, no paste

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 PM

I use Kit Carnuba wax. I've tried several kinds and it stays on and looks best the longest of the ones I've tried.. Every couple years on my cars I wash them down with dishwashing soap instead of regular car soap to strip it and start new before applying new wax.

Volunteer SBW Content Provider
Walter Mittyish Sportbike Commuter
Christian Family Man

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

zymol is that a long lasting wax? meguires gold? I hate when you wax a car and in a week it does not feel or look like it has been done in a while. Eage one was like that.

2002 B&W GSX-R 750,Graves Full Ti System, PC 3 R,TRE "Switchable",CR9EIX Iridium, Galfer SS brake lines,Framesliders, L&P Intergrator kit, L&P front flush mounts,ZG DB smoked screen,86Z28 redone from the ground up and worked, Ready for road racing.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

black magic has a petroleum of some sort in it does that effect how long it last?

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 04:39 AM
Strength and Honor

Consumers' Report

I suggest you checkout Consumers' Report (their site might have something). They did an extensive review less than a year ago, and I know there were some that were grittier than others, which is a MAJOR factor with a dark colored car like yours.

If I recall correctly, Zymol was one of the better ones for dark cars, but don't hold me to it. It's what my wife uses on her midnight blue TA, and it is beautiful when completely clean.

I'd lookup the review myself and boild down the results if I was at home, but am traveling.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 10:10 AM

what do I use?

Mind you opinions are like .. well you know the rest..
I use maguires on my car and my bike.. I have a white car and a silver bike.. they both stand up pretty well.. the bike gets another coat ever week or so.. and once a year I use dishwashing detergent (usually over the winter) and start again.. wash and wax... the car usually only gets 2 or 3 a year, but it's a 94 and still looks new.

it's not the bike that's fast my friend.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 08:00 PM

Re: what do you consider to be the best commonly available car wax?

Quote:
Originally posted by BLACK Z
I want something that I can get at the local walmart or auto parts store, all 3 of my vehicles are black, I was want something for shine and protection, what do you think of meguires gold class? what about black magic or zymolie? paste or liquid? thanks
Here is the straight poop on wax. You said you want something that is available at Wal Mart or an auto parts store, that is good information to know.

If you can find Meguire's Number 26 wax (I think they are labeling it as: "High Tech Yellow Wax", but it says "No. 26" under the name somewhere), that is the ONLY wax Mequire's sells that has a formulation that lets the paint breathe. It means if your paint is new or at least not real old, you might want this wax. I use the paste version of the wax but you are more likely to find the liquid version on most shelves.

I have since started using 3M products. Why? Because they make the best paint finishing compounds available for paint refinishing or new paint finishing. More professional paint people buy their compounds for finishing new paint than any other, at least where I live. I like their wax and their gloss enhancer and their plastic cleaner and the plastic polish. NAPA stores USED to sell their product line, but now you are lucky to find one or two items from 3M as far as car paint care products in a NAPA store. However, don't despair, you can buy their consumer products (other than paint finishing stuff) on the 3M website, and they are priced right.

Zymol has a good product line, but I just don't use their stuff.

Another product you can buy at many stores like Wal Mart is Turtle Wax in the green bottle. I know it sounds corny to some, but if you need to clean off road tar or other crud from your paint and you don't want to ruin the finish, this product is the best choice. I have used this product on every car I have ever owned, no Sh*t, and it cleans and shines, and also works great on aluminum wheels. I just would not use it to wax the whole car if you have something that is not such a "cleaner" type wax to use.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:15 PM

Definitely either 3M or Meguiar's. Both are top notch heads above the rest.. If you go Meguiar's Gold, which is what I use, you should go ahead and get the whole Deep Crystal(tm) system that goes with it. DAMN BRO! You will be happy. Basically it has a special shine polish you put on UNDER the wax, then wax it, and it looks f**kin' class, or should I say, like glass. Then what's best of all, is you use their special Quick Detailer spray once a week, without having to wax, and it immediately restores the just waxed look without the g'damn fuss. Only have to wax once a month that way. Damn I am totally brand loyal to Meguiar's and I'm the kind of guy who laughs at the concept of brand loyalty, but there you have it. And while I'm on the subject, DAMN BRO, you should get Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleanser and Clear Plastic Polish. DAMN BRO!!!! A scratchy boring looking windscreen suddenly looks brand spankin' NEW after that! HOLY SH*T! If you aren't using Meguiar's you are SO losing out.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 04:07 PM

I've used black magic before. It's good for just a quick wax to get rid of those pesky hair-lines.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the Mother's Carnuba Gold. It's a solid wax that seems to last and protect better than anything else I've tried. It's good to use if you've got a polished frame too... it helps prolong the shine and slow any tarnishing, so you don't have to re-polish it as often.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode