Walkthrough how to clean your bike!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Question Walkthrough how to clean your bike!!

I have read all the latest post of the preferred cleaning supplies such as S100, honda brite, mothers, and others but through reading trough them all I have no idea which one is the best to use where. I just got my first bike and i love it...i want it to look perfect the whole time meaning i want to use the best stuff on each individual part. If anyone would have the patience to take me through a quick walkthrough of what is the best stuff to use for each part of the bike or if you would just tell me one thing that you know works great for atleast one part then that would be great too. Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 05:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
How about some good ole' soap(not dish detergent cause it will strip the wax) and water regularly, and then applying some wax every once and a while. That should work. That is what I use, other than some aluminum polish for the wheels, and my bike stays and looks pretty clean.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 06:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to akcbr
do you use the same wax on the fairings and the metal of the tank?
I never use wax, just hondabrite....maybe I should

it's not my fault....

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Quote:
Originally posted by akcbr
do you use the same wax on the fairings and the metal of the tank?
Yep. I use the same wax on the whole bike. Insulator Wax is supposed to be the S**t. Friend is a custom motorcycle painter, and that is what he swears by. I have only applied it a few times to my bike, and it feels pretty sweet. just my $.02

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar7R Send a message via Yahoo to Kevlar7R
Honda polish is all you need for all your cleaning needs. It'll clean off bugs and grease, and leave you with a nice shiny finish. That stuff rules!!!
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:54 AM

Use all cotton terry cloths or diaper cloths or whatever, at least I think. I barley touched my new windscreen with a paper towel to get some dust off, and it left little scratches. Nothing a little plastic haze remover wont get out, but still.

What about the aluminum muffler? It came with a scotch brite pad from the dealer to clean it, but from the factory, it's brushed smooth, and I tried the scotch brite pad in a hidden area, and it gets pretty scratched up. The owners manual says to clean it with the special sponge, but is the special sponge really the scotch brite?

Later
Gabe
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:06 PM

Stay on top of it - clean after every ride - it becomes routine.

My rule: Cleaners that are too expensive ain't worth it.

"Nothing has the feel of a brand new Showercap"
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to R.I.P.
I wash mine with soap and water. Then bring it in the house(because air conditioning) and use meguiars quik detailer mist and wipe. Looks good as new.

I REFUSE TO TIPTOE THROUGH LIFE .......ONLY TO ARRIVE SAFELY TO DEATH!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:04 AM

I never use water
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 06:36 PM

depends on you I think

Hey been riding for about 5 years now.. on my 3rd bike.. (1 resold, 1 stolen and now my baby is locked up safely at night)
I use mothers car wash to wash the bike.. hot water and mothers.. and a sponge to get the road grime off.. alot of water to rinse it away, and then a shammy to wash it well.. I then use clean water and a fresh shammy to rinse it off..
I have a "thing" for carnuba wax... I usually put like 2-3 coats on every time.. only take about an hour total to wash and wax.. but worth it.
I have some showroom shine (different than armorall.. but essentially does the same thing).. and I use that on the seats and the black plastic it removes any wax that got on it and shines it up nice... I dont' have a fender eliminator, so I use it on the fender as well.. makes it look shiney black..
other than that I cover it when not riding,, and usually use honda shine in between wash and wax.. and I use the wax on plastic and metal (not aluminum.. just ferring and tank)
works well for me.. the bugs wipe right off after a ride and I have noticed the odd stone that will stick to the wax.. not making it to the paint.. mind you very small stones we're talking about here..
I pretty much do the same on my car and it works well for me..
these other guys use just the honda shine, and it does the trick for sure, but I like the added protection of a few layers of wax..
just buff it up in between coats..
but I ultimately think it's up to you the rider.. I don't mind throwing in a few bucks for good wash and wax and time to make my ride shine.. but every one thinks differently on everything, some think there's no need for the layers of wax.. I figure it's just an extra protection from small stones and the like..
but if you'd rather spend your time riding than waxing, jsut use the honda spray and don't cry if you get a few swirls or chips...
the windshield is a B*t*h!! I have found that on my bikes too.. no matter how careful you are, get swirls in the plastic...sucks in my opinion.. but yes there are products to even get rid of those.
wish we could avaid them all together though.. cheers everybody.. can't wait till this weather gets better and the road clear off.. I got the bug!!

it's not the bike that's fast my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode