Polish Protectant? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Polish Protectant?

Is there some kind of chemical that i can put on my polished metal that will seal it so that it will not lose the shine? thanks

jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:02 AM

goof2rider,

It's so difficult to give an answer to a polishing without creating a short documentary. Your question involves several considerations.

1. I recommend using a clear spray coating on any polished items that cannot be easily maintained. (Eastwood has an excellent one, called Diamond Clear #: 10200Z for $9.99)

2. I don't recommend any kind of coating on the major or larger surfaces as this only complicates removal of surface scratches and other damage. Any covering also greatly detracts from the 'shine'.

3. The best way to protect polished aluminum is to get it to really shine in the first place. The brighter the shine, the greater resistance it has to the dulling effects of normal use. After getting anything polished, I recommend frequent buffing to establish the best finish possible, then you'll discover that it requires less and less maintenance. Some buffing compounds have chemicals that hasten the dulling and tarnish effects to only sell more product.

4. I recommend using a different product on each wheel, for instance, to give you a visual distinction between one product and another. Not just for the immediate result, but for a period of time to test the long tern effects. There are so many products available and people will recommend what they use, but usually this is not very reliable information.

5. I almost hate to bring this up but I'm currently playing around with several products that you don't normally associate with polishing aluminum at all, namely, gel tooth paste and gel shaving cream. The tooth past is rather abrasive, but does a great job of sanding out those occasional scratches very quickly and without any difficult to remove sanding marks. The shaving cream brings the aluminum to the brightest shine I've found so far. The jury's never in on this subject, there's just too many options and experiments out there. Check out the English Custom Polishing products.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:05 AM

goof2rider,

It's so difficult to give an answer to a polishing question without creating a short documentary. Your question sounds simple, but it actually involves a number of considerations.

1. I recommend using a clear spray coating on any polished items that cannot be easily maintained. (Eastwood has an excellent one, called Diamond Clear #: 10200Z for $9.99)

2. I don't recommend any kind of coating on the major or larger surfaces, as this only complicates removal of surface scratches and other effects of time. Any coating also greatly detracts from the 'shine'.

3. The best way to protect polished aluminum is to get it to really shine in the first place. The brighter the shine, the greater resistance it has to the dulling effects of normal use. After getting anything polished, I recommend frequent buffing to establish the best finish possible, then you'll discover that it requires less and less maintenance. Some buffing compounds have chemicals that hasten the dulling and tarnishing effects presumably to only sell more product.

4. I recommend using a different product on each wheel, for instance, to give you a visual distinction between one product and another. Not just for the immediate result, but for a period of time to test the long tern effects. There are so many products available and people will recommend what they use, but usually this is not very reliable information.

5. I almost hate to bring this up but I'm currently playing around with several products that you don't normally associate with polishing aluminum at all, namely, gel tooth paste and gel shaving cream. The tooth past is rather abrasive, but does a great job of sanding out those occasional scratches very quickly and without any difficult to remove sanding marks. The shaving cream brings the aluminum to the brightest shine I've found so far. The jury's never in on this subject, there's just too many options and experiments to be performed. Check out the English Custom Polishing products, discussed elsewhere on this website.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:36 AM

DAVEL,

Would that be tartar control crest or do you prefer the non-tartar control. LOL!!! Toothpaste works for cleaning and buffing jewelery, so I guess it would work on wheels too.

KNEE DOWN FINGER UP!!!!

That will buff out!!

Women are like parking spaces.....you get in...you get out....and you leave it behind you!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to OnyxWulf
English Custom Polishing.....

English Custom Polishing

I use this stuff and it works like nothing else. I use it on everything I have that is metal, not just my bike. From the cleaner to the top of the line polish. It is not like the other stuff that the shine fades. I can just take a damp cloth to my bike after it gets dirty and it comes right clean and shiney again.

Lates,
Onyx
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:33 PM

If you don't want to have to deal with it every time you detail the bike, use a permanent clear-coat. Otherwise, a good Carnuba wax works just fine. By the way, a nice touch is to use Windex on the wax after it is dry and wiped off. This adds depth and a bit of a "wet" look.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:31 PM

Bankboy,

I've been intending to respond to your last post for a while now. I do not recommend using a clear coat except in certain specific areas. The problem is that it greatly dulls the polished aluminum. Why go to all that work only to ruin it. This also makes any touch up work a much bigger project. You'll have to remove all the protective coating from the entire wheel or frame, whatever. Without the clear finish, you can lightly sand out minor scratches or dings and immediately polish it out again. Honda's used to come with a clear finish applied to all polished surfaces, and the first thing everybody did was to get out the paint remover and bring out the 'real' shine.

I also use the English Custom Polishing and it creates an incredible degree of protection. I usually have to polish things up in the spring and again over the winter. All summer it's just wash and dry. What are the specific areas where a clear coat is a good idea? It helps with many of the really difficult to maintain parts, such as the little bungee hooks on my ZX-11. The carnauba wax, you mentioned, is better than nothing, but nothing like the English Custom Polishing products. They claim, and I agree, that most of the aluminum polishing products actually include chemicals that hasten discoloration and deterioration as this tends to sell even more product, at least until people get wise to this tactic. I polished the following bike several months ago with the ECP and rode it several times. I haven't washed or even wiped it off since then. It will look just as good by spring.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode