lubrication - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

lubrication

Hey guys,

I am getting ready to lubricate my 98 zx7r's chain. Visual inspection shows, caked black powder?, brake dust?, etc. all over the chain. I want to complete clear all of this guk off it before applying chain lube. Some time ago, I bought a PJ1 Professional Carburetor and Choke Cleaner, which was recommended by the local shop by a counter salesman. I'm not all that confident he knows what he's talking about. Is this stuff safe for my bike's chain? Has anyone actually used this product? Also, I don't have a rear stand. I was thinking of moving the bike in intervals of a couple feet to expose the bike's chain etc so I can clean and eventually apply lubrication. Do you think this is OK? Of course, I'd rather have a rear stand, but... If I were to get a rear stand, any recommendation? I have both a front and rear PitBull stands, but they were left home back in VA. A recommendation in fact, by this site when I got it way back. I was very happy with them. Any other recommendation for my zx7r? I'm looking for quality... Also, is it pretty simple to jack up the zx7r? It took some getting used to when I tried for the first time to jack up my f4 when I had her.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 07:07 AM

I use WD-40 on my chain, to clean it. (get the chain warm first)You can get most of the gunk of by spraying it then wiping it off, also to get in the other parts, use a brush(toothbrush works) and you can usually get all the crude out. After you are done, wipe it all really good and then take the bike for a little ride to get the chain warm(excess stuff is going to sling out and you will need to clean that up). After the ride, lube the chain and let it sit for 20 min or more, to let the oil set in and all the other junk evaporate. his method works for me and gives minimal lube sling afterwards.

KNEE DOWN FINGER UP!!!!

That will buff out!!

Women are like parking spaces.....you get in...you get out....and you leave it behind you!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:43 AM

Do not use carb cleaner on your chain. It will damage the o-rings and the oil inside the chain held in place by the o-rings. Use WD-40 and a brush. Or try kerosene in a spray bottle. These are petroleum based products and will not do damage to the o-rings. ANd they both work great and are very cheap.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I was a bit suspicious about utilizing the carb and choke cleaner to clean the guk off of the chain. Anyway, excellent advice. I do remember my zx7r manual mentioning about kerosene to clean the chain, etc. I will go w/ the WD-40 and toothbrush to do the job. I'm glad I waited to hear... My bike and I thank you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:48 AM

I never lube my chain and never clean it, but its always lubed and always clean. 21K miles and it is good as new. How you ask? The astounding, amazing and inexplicably rare Scottoiler automatic chain oiler. There is a chain lube thread on this site every week, and no one ever mentions the Scottoiler except for me. I just dont get it. For the track its clearly unacceptable but for the street it cant be beat!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to maryland_outlaw
You could also use chain wax to cut down on the flinging.

Outlaw

Suzuki, there is no substitute!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 02:46 PM

Talking

OOOPS!!! Wrong web sight and wrong forum
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 06:48 PM

I also have a Scottoiler, but clean my chain when I clean the bike. I use biogradeable degreaser (Motul), water, and a brush. It works great. After cleaning, turn the Scottoiler flow up and run the bike on a rear stand for a few minutes to get the chain lubed again. That also gets all the water out of the chain/sprockets/wheel. Then set it where you usually have it.

For track days, simply drain the Scottoiler the day before and refill/prime it after.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:15 PM

You're the first person Ive seen on SBW that has a Scottoiler besides myself! I suppose I do clean my chain in a way, because I spray down the whole lower half of the bike with S100 once a week. I ride around my nieghborhood a few times to allow the chain to relube after. Once I put it away wet thinking the chain would get oiled the next day when I rode it, and some rust spots appeared overnight. Isn't it awesome not having to lube your chain?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:41 PM

Yeah, Scottoilers save a lot of work. The oil does fling off some, though. Any time you clean a chain and remove the oil/lube with water, you have to be careful to remove the water and re-lube. If you leave water on any bare, unprotected metal, you're gonna get rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode