Polish info - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Polish info

I noticed that one of the guys recommends a polish because it is alkali. We'll I'm sorry folks but alkalis are no better for your polished pieces than acids. Infact, they may even be worse. Sodium Hydroxide is an alkali. It EATS ALUMINUM. As does ammonia, another alkali. Infact all anhydrous chemicals are hard on metals, and many of the substances used in polishes are anhydrous. Having said that does the manufacturer state the pH of his product? or just state that it is alkali because they use an alkali component. Carnauba, which is accepted as being the brightest wax in the world is acidic. that has it's own set of problems, but it doesn't stop it from being useful to show polishers. Though it is of little use to museums.
I suppose I ought to tell you a little about me to qualify my statements.
I am a professional polisher. I own English Custom Polishing.
a custom polishing and chrome plating shop.
I also make my own polishes.
The antique range have the ph rating on the website.
No acids, no anhydrous, no alkali.
Basically pH neutral.
Check out the photogallery at www.englishcustompolishing/usca/gallery.html
Oh, by the way, I use a solution of 15% sodium hydroxide to strip anodizing off aluminum. it takes seconds!I hope it's not in your polish!

polisher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 06:08 AM

Polisher,

A significant part of my business is polishing, but I also do engine building, tune-ups, etc. I have arrived at a pretty darn good procedure to get the aluminum polished out (material removal), but the buffing has always been a topic for discussion. I've tried an armload of products and have even played around with my own concoctions. But I must admit that your buffing products are, by a wide margin, the best I've ever used. It isn't about 'elbow grease either' as there seems to be a chemical thing going on. The protecting properties are especially effective. Great products. I'm presently testing some of the various products you offer to hopefully select the best combination for bike frames, wheels, etc.

Anyone wanting a truly great line of polishing (buffing) products, you can't do any better than English Custom Polishing. [ englishcustompolishing.com/usca/index.html ]

Check my 'View my photo album' for my own bike recently buffed out with English Custom Polishing products.

Last edited by DaveL; 12-03-2002 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode