removing graphics? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

removing graphics?

I am fortunate enough to have the sweet pink graphics on my 91 F2 and as lovely as they are would like to get rid of them. My question is how do you get 11 year old graphics off of the bike? Using a heat gun wouldn't be the best idea on plastic panels I"m sure...so are there any plastic safe products to use, or just by hand, or will a heat gun work ok if I'm very careful? Basically I don't want to ruin the panels on my bike in the process of taking off the graphics.

Brian
02 Honda 954 RR (totalled, looking for my next one)
04 Mazda RX-8
04 Dodge Neon SRT-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:49 AM

I've used a hairdryer on low setting in the past for those stickers on the fairing. Worked well and didn't damage the plastic. Just took a little longer than my heat gun did on the metal. If you're worried about damaging the plastic, outline the target with insulating tape. that way the tape should protect the plastic and the heat will focus on the sticker.

Just need to get the sticker warm, not hot. It should then peel away easily. I haven't tried it for stickers as old as yours though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:53 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Keep in mind that stickers that old, there may be some fading of the plastics around it. Are you replacing them with other colors, or just taking them off?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 04:35 PM

Pink?

I dunno about you but ill will take faded plastic over pink stripes any time. Pink graffics on motorcycles are like motorcycle mullets.
And by the way, we puilled the pink stickers of my buddys fzr600 just by letting each side get like 2hrs of colorado sun, pelled of in one piece both sides. And if that dosent work just take a sharpie and color it black, no one will know!! Good Luck

A squeaky wheel gets greased, but if it keeps on squeaking it gets replaced

Last edited by Throttle; 09-20-2002 at 04:38 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 04:50 PM

I used a hair dryer on low setting to remove mine also. There was some adheasive(sp?) still on there and I used Goof-Off to remove the sticky stuff. If you use Goof-Off do not let it sit on the paint or plastics. I sprayed it on and wiped it off right away and it worked perfect, can't even tell.

Did the aliens forget to remove your anal probe?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:36 PM

tool

I know at body shops they have this tool that hooks up to the compressor and spings a rubber like circle. It takes the stickers off really easy, and didnt seem to hurt the paint at all either. When I took them off my bike to get it painted, I used that at the body shop. Took almost no time at all. I'd find a local one and be cool to the guys and see if you could use it really quick. Just a thought...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:45 PM

We use those here at our body shop their called an eraser wheel and you need to be carefull because they can eat into plastic very quick and will get hot and melt if you leave in in one place to long. But yes they work very well and they cost about $15 ea at an automotive paint supply store.

To be old & treacherous you must first be young & stupid

Too Many Freaks & Not Enough Circuses "Fast Eddie"

Someone once asked me "why do you always insist on taking the hard road?" and I replied "why do you assume I see two roads"?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 01:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to J0kerno1 Send a message via Yahoo to J0kerno1
I have a 90 FZR400 and couldn't get the stickers off for anything, I tryed goof off,,,heat gun,,paint remover,,,and finally found something from NAPA called DECAL And GRAPHIC remover, tryed that and it ate thru my fairing,,,,so in no case, buy this stuff,,,its scary how it ate through...I ended up using wet sand paper and taking the whole panel off then repainting.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 04:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to mojo tracks
W-D 40

I had a can-o-tuna once and just about tried everything to get the stickers off and just messed everthing up. On one of my CBR's I used W-D40 and worked like a charm. It took a little elbow grease, but it was worth the result.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 06:50 AM

Hey man, I'm in the same boat you are. I also have a 91 F2 with those same silly pink stripes. They're just nasty. I've seen soem pics with them changed to silver though, and that looks real nice. Anybody got any ideas on painting or replacing the vinyl stickers. As for taking them off, a hairdryer and and patience is the best way to go.
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode