???cleaning Rims??? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 09:09 PM

Try S100 cleaner. It really works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:22 PM

both the Meguiar's and the Honda Brite work great, I've tried them both. Also WD40 does work like a charm with greasy shit, but after you are done it is good to put Honda Brite over it, otherwise the grease residue will collect dust and dirt all over again, like a magnet.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 02:33 AM

Try a paintbrush & some Kerosene. Easy. When clean, a good silicon based polish will be more durable than a wax.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:03 AM

no simple green lovers out there

i use that stuff on my wheels and aluminum parts that are dirty from rode grime and the like...takes the all the shit right off and leaves the wheels looking shiny and new. i suppose you could wax'm or whatever, but i find there's no need for that with simple green...
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 03:05 AM

I use simple green to get the gunk off then use quick detailer to shine it back up.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 06:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to jeffsback
I got a secret, In got a secret...

I read all the posts on this subject; and I'm not surprised to find that the secret substance that you probably already have at home, that I have been using for years was not mentioned. To safely remove or strip heavy grease or grime from any surface, including my hands and cloths, to my chain and my concrete driveway, I have found that Spray And Wash laundry stain remover is the best. I agree that using WD40 is an effective method of breaking down many substances; I have also used it for years for the particular applications that it is suited for. WD40 is not safe to use on many types of plastic, vinyl, paint, or rubber, particularly grease seals and O-rings. As for carb cleaner and break cleaner, DON”T DO IT! After cleaning with WD40 your next task would be to clean off the WD40 so you can reapply whatever protection you prefer. Spray And Wash brakes down the heaviest grease or grime and washes away with water (warm works best) leaving the surface clean and ready to wax. A couple cotes of regular auto wax (I use Turtle) protects my rims for about 4 thorough cleanings with soap and water (and a lot of after-ride wipe downs with a wet towel) when the grease fails to wash off easily, I repeat the process, about 3-4 times a year. It is well worth the effort to protect the rims as well as all the surfaces of your bike, it will save hours of cleaning time in the long run. Goo-gone is also safe and water soluble, but not quite as effective in my opinion.

All Hail Great Surgeons and Gear Manufactures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:39 PM

I've tried kerosene, dish soap, car soap, engine degreaser...

None of them worked as well as baby wipes. Less elbow grease involved, quicker.

If they can remove toxic baby crap, do you think a little road grime will stop them?

Seriously tho, they do work.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Blarc
...toxic baby crap...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:16 AM

Hi,
I've used the Bug and Tar Remover on factory aluminum rims. It worked great.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:15 PM

Hi All-

Once the white rims on my pristine Honda CBR 600F2 are cleaned, I give them a quick wipe with a paper towel sprayed with Pledge wax. It makes the rims just slick enough to "shake" dust and grime.

Just be careful not to get anything slippery on your tires. Nothing says "newbie" quite like a motorcycle with gleaming tire shine on the sidewalls. That stuff is just bound to migrate onto your tread and potentially cause an accident.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in