???cleaning Rims??? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:13 PM

Having a 900rr with the white rims, I had to become a rim cleaning expert.... I find that WD40 works pretty well in getting the heavy staining out (first time stuff), and cleans them up pretty nicely this is true but, it's usually what you do after cleaning them that REALLY makes the difference.... I recomend using the Meguiar's 3 step system... it consists of a "paint cleaner", a polish, and a wax... if you just take the time and do this once, at the beginning of a riding season, your rims will be much easier to clean off, and will keep a pretty good shine w/ very little effort..... you can use there "quick detailer" for touchups before you ride..... rims can be a nightmare, but hopefully this may help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 10:23 AM

thanks man. the bike is new & the rims are gunmetal. but i guess its teh chain lube coming off the wd40 wont strip the paint right?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 06:16 PM

no, wd-40 won't strip the paint... It's safe.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:23 AM

ok cool man time to go get some gotta make it shine
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:08 AM

I use a product called Goo Gone. It is a citrus based cleaner and it took all the grease and grime off the front and rear wheels in about 15 minutes.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 12:17 AM

I use the Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish on my rims, it worked great. I also use it to remove bugs from my helmet and windscreen, again with excellent results. An added bonus is the more you use it, the easier it is to clean the next time.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 07:43 PM

A good thing to do is to wipr the cahine after put yur wax, that make less grease to go on the rime
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 11:10 AM

Cool

I have white rims on my bike, so I get to clean them all the time. but they look good when they are clean. I use a citrus based cleaner you can buy in bulk at any hardware store- cheap. Spray it on and wipe it off with a paper towel.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:18 PM

Use a steam cleaner!.....Gets all the crap off and then you can use any polish you like!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 05:45 PM

I had white wheels and was tired of spending all the time on cleaning them. My solution.....polished the rim lips and then painted the inner section with some toyota silver colored paint and cleared them about 3 times. I keep some polish on them and after a few rides, what is stuck to the wheels I just wipe off with Plexus or pledge, basically anything handy. I really think putting the clear on the wheels helps with keeping the crap off the wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in