Need help w/ ideas... Going to beach in 3 weeks, tricking out bike.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Need help w/ ideas... Going to beach in 3 weeks, tricking out bike..

I have a '01 RR w/ the stock black wheels, and frame... I want to make it look "non-stock" and have a couple of ideas of my own.. the bike is the yellow and black, and i've seen where some people have painted the wheels yellow. Is it posible, or worth while to polish them, or paint them? I also have the file about polishing the bike. Is that worth it, b/c i've heard nightmare stories. I am fairly comfortable trying this stuff, and am just wanting to know ya'lls ideas... any other ideas for making it look better are greatly appreciated.. can i paint wheels my self? (ive done my car interior plastic peices) thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 02:09 PM

I just polished the wheels on my 954 a few weeks ago...I got all the supplies to do this, for less the $30 buks...Dont get me wrong it was a long redundant job...from prep to poilsh..Its not difficult @ all its just time consuming..Took me about 6 hours total,, for everyting, but the results were sweet Also this was the first time i ever polished, so i was a little apprenhesive, but after seeing my boyz gixxer all nicely polished, I said fugg it...It turned out decent azz hell for my first time... Left the hubs & spokes black....everyone says this is a winter job...I took one saturday morning and did it,, now i have the whole summer to blaze my wheels..Sure glad i didnt wait...Good luk,, view my photo gallery for a lookskie...Holla

Last edited by Ruff-rida; 06-18-2002 at 02:12 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up That is the shiznit...

So it took you about 6 hrs huh?...Where and what supplies did you get? And what kinda buffer?...I have a pretty big write up that was posted on here a while back about polishing, but have been hesitant to do it..Are they a pain to keep shiny? I think Im gonna do that stuff this weekend... any other ideas to make it look sweet?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 07:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slowrat
Thumbs up

neons

"Don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die".---Men's restroom, Murphy's, Champaign, IL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 03:03 AM

painting your rims

Tripod14,
I like the neon suggestion myself, but if you are also considering painting your rims, you should have them done at a paint shop. Though if you have the equipment to use a high quality enamel paint (not a rattle can) and feel comfortable with work involved in preparing the wheels it can be done at home. Most paint shops will use a HVLP (high velocity / low pressure) paint system. and the finish is not only good looking but will stand up to abuse. Doing it at home will increase the chances of getting dirt/trash in the paint plus if the rim is not prepped right it may all flake off before you reach the beach. I have 15 years experiance in painting aircraft and cars and would be glad to answer any questions you may have about the process.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 07:31 AM

TRIPOD14,

I have detailed instructions on how to polish your wheels..The directions are failry easy & i have pics of some finished work. If you are interested in them, just leave me your e-mail addy & i'll hook ya up with the file.....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 04:30 PM

Powder Coat

I say if you want to paint. Get them powder coated. I have a Suzuki Katana 600, yellow and black and I'm getting my wheels done soon and it doesn't cost much. It's like $150-175 a wheel. Just depends on if you want regular color or candy color.

//MsYogi//
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

ruff_rida.... please send instructions..

[email protected]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:03 AM

Re: Powder Coat

Quote:
Originally posted by msyogi21
I say if you want to paint. Get them powder coated. I have a Suzuki Katana 600, yellow and black and I'm getting my wheels done soon and it doesn't cost much. It's like $150-175 a wheel. Just depends on if you want regular color or candy color.

//MsYogi//
thats a rip off...you should be able to get them done for 50-75 dollars a wheel or 100-150 dollars or less a set. shop around...im out in cali and shit is bank out here..had one shop quote me 1200 hundred to powdercoat the bike black (frame, subframe, swingarm, both wheels)...had another quote me 400 hundred for it all and I can throw some small shit like rear sets in too..shop around..but 300-350$ for a set of wheels is a fat ass rip off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 02:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to J0kerno1 Send a message via Yahoo to J0kerno1
1000$$ chit..I just got a quote for 550 for the whole bike,,including frame and wheels and thought that was high
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode