What are motorcycles good for? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

What are motorcycles good for?

What are motorcycles good for?

Alright, Iíve always had a casual interest in motorcycles and finally took the BRC and earned my motorcycle endorsement but now Iím at an impasse. While I think motorcycles are cool, alternative, and all that good stuff, I canít figure out what I would actually do with a motorcycle, especially a supersport, which is the only style Iím interested in riding.

Without even considering the greater inherent risk on a motorcycle (which is a significant variable), Iím having trouble justifying owning one. I canít use it for work, since I need the capability of a truck for my job as a construction manager. I canít chauffeur my family to our obligations, since car booster seats donít easily attach. I donít feel secure parking it at university during class, since they are so easily stolen. I canít even use it to pick up groceries, since there doesn't seem to be much cargo capability on the cycle.

I've considered the ideal use for these machines is on a racetrack. In public, their best use seems to be transportation of a single rider with at most a backpack of cargo between facilities with secured parking. In my case, I could ride it from our garage at home to flight class and park it in the aircraft hanger. But then I would be restricted in what I could do both before and after class.

I see other riders on these motorcycles either out joyriding with friends or commuting to work. I donít have the time to joyride and my job precludes using a motorcycle for my commute.

While I am attracted to the idea of riding an F4, GSX-R, CBR, or ZX10R, I feel I canít justify such a purchase. Are supersports really just idle peopleís playthings? They donít seem to have much practical function off the race track. At this point, Iím tempted to buy a Porsche 911 or BMW M3. At least these cars would have some practical use while being sporting. Please correct me if my analysis is flawed.

Iíd like to understand from owners how they actually use these motorcycles as well as what their inherent limitations are.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode