New Rider out of MSF with new 2012 Honda CBR250RA - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Billyapb1071 Send a message via Yahoo to Billyapb1071
New Rider out of MSF with new 2012 Honda CBR250RA

Hi , I am Billy and I just pass the MSF class 2 weeks ago and brought my first motorcycle back in June. I have been driving my motorcycle everyday and every chance I get, I first brought it as a means to save on gas because the CBR250 gets 74 MPG and I am getting about 62 miles a gallon from it but the first time I let the clutch out and it moved, I was hooked and now all I want to do is ride my motorcycle, esp now that I have passed the MSF and can legally go any where I want. I have 950 miles on the bike so far. I love the bike I have but this past weekend I did a group ride in chamberbug Pa for a child who mother was killed and what a waste of life, sad but so uplifting to see so many bikers come together for a small girl. Any ways it was my first group ride and in a way it was exciting but also I felt odd like I knew I didn't belong being I have only driven less then 2 weeks legally and 3 months not legal on my back street.

I have a 2012 color Honda CBR250RA that I love but this group ride had some other sport bikes that were some 600 750 and and a really cool black Honda cbr1000, I never realized how small my motorcycle was till I saw their motorcycles and now I got in my blood, I want a bigger bike like those. I am not going to get one any time soon, maybe I will wait a year or half after I have gain a good amount of riding experience and understand what things in the bike world means, like on the group ride, the sport bikes rider kept sticking their legs down and out wards and later a guy explained to me it was them saying watch out for things like loose tree sticks etc.

I never had as much fun as I did since getting my motorcycle and while I def want to do anther group ride soon and I enjoy the one I just did. I also feel like I didn't belong but wanted to. I love this sport so much and corning and taking off on the bike is such a rush.
I can;t wait to gain more experience and stuff like that and get a bigger bike down the road. those bigger sport bikers were so damn cool looking and but it made my cbr250ra look like a child's bike lol.

I wish I had started to ride motorcycles so much sooner, I can't believe the fun I have missed out on and all the riders are really cool.

I love the low hand wave

Last edited by Billyapb1071; 08-07-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Strength and Honor

Welcome to SBW, and the addiction that is sportbike riding

I, too, regret not having been introduced at a much younger age to the fun of riding on two-wheeled motorized vehicles. Especially the fun of being at the track.

A word of warning though. Yes, the allure of bigger can be risky. Great riders at the track can overcome mediocre riders on bigger bikes pretty easily. Rider skill is king. So don't be in a rush. Crashing big bikes is easy and highly expensive.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Hi Kanwisch , thanks man and I understand what your saying, I def don't want to buy a bigger bike and crash it but yet I can't say it is not something I am looking forward too. I read on anther forum for the CBR250 that Honda might be coming out with a CBR500 sport bike, if so I that would be a great thing for new riders like me to move up too and from what I read it will cost under 8000 dollars and have mpg closer to the 250 then the 600.

In the mean time I will just enjoy my 250 till I get better at riding. I do wonder does the bigger bikes not corner as easy as the 250's because it seems so easy on the CBR250RA I have to corner.

I also noticed, the more I do on this bike the more it all becomes easy.

I honestly feel like my confidence has built up fast on my 250, after riding back streets for a few days , I started riding my motorcycle to work on I-70 in MD but not going over 60 mph in the slow lane or switching lanes at all and by the third day I was up to 70 mph feeling safe switching lanes a few times and now 2 to 3 weeks later, now I am up to 83 mph easy, switching lanes often to pass the slower cars and laying down over the tank to avoid the wind,where at first I was setting more upright and the wind was awful. The MSF does not teach one how to drive a sport bike on highways like with the laying more over the tank to reduce the impact of the air. I think that is the reason why I feel confident now to take my bike up to 75 - 80 mph on the interstate which is the normal speed most people do on I-70 in western Maryland.

My only grip is my knees get sore after a hr drive to work on the bike, I guess I hoping a bigger bike will give me more room to adjust my legs , IDK if that is the case or not. I was thinking even maybe I could see if the dealer could lower my foot pegs on my 250.

Last edited by Billyapb1071; 08-08-2012 at 03:23 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Strength and Honor

That is often a challenge. If you're tall (6'2" or more?) then a 250 will be uncomfortable. Often suggested alternatives include the SV650S, 650R, and now I think the Ducati Monster are good choices that have more space to fit your larger body.

What is fun about smaller bikes is the ease with which they can be thrown around in turns. The quicker into the turn the faster you'll go through it, which is the whole point of carving corners.

MOving on from your first ride isn't like a promotion series, IMO. Once you've had 10k miles and several seasons under your belt, choosing to go up to a 1000cc bike isn't out of the realm of possibility. As noted in so many other threads in this part of the forum, its the ability to carefully control the throttle and react to unexpected situations. Your natural reactions can be the exact opposite of what you want to actually do.

Continue your education. After a season, get onto the track with an organization that has classroom sessions between track sessions. Take the next MSF class.

Confidence is an important factor in enjoying the ride but is easily dashed with the smallest of incidents. I don't know an experienced rider who hasn't had a get-off, but we plowed on and rebuilt the lost confidence and supplemented with real-world experience of how we screwed up. This greatly increases the likelihood we won't repeat the mistakes of the past. Naturally this also suggests something for wearing gear.....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

I will have to check those bikes out wwhen I do trade in. Thanks for that info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode