Totally new, need a crash course - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Totally new, need a crash course

Hi there,

I'll soon be heading out to the rural area of Japan to teach English and play for a low-level football (soccer) team in Nagano. Cars are expensive and probably wouldn't be very cost effective for me. I'll probably be staying in Azumino City which is about 45 minutes away from Matsumoto City by car. More than likely, I'll just have a bike (which is okay for some things).

With more than a two hour ride EVERY morning ahead of me on bike, I began wondering what my options were. Then I thought about a sports bike, as I've always wanted one. They're cheaper than a car but still have some benefits that a bike has (like parking and size).

I want to buy in Japan instead of ship it out. Unfortunately, I'm a complete bike noob. I don't even know how to classify bikes (I know that I'm not a fan of the harley-looking bikes; I prefer the ones you have to learn forward with while you ride). I don't know if there is a word for people like me, but I just want the style. Even if it can't go faster than 60 MPH, I don't care.

What should I be looking at? Maybe less than $3,000, doesn't have to be fast, and I prefer something that doesn't generate a lot of noise. Is there a noob beginner guide for bikes? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Edit: It also must be street legal in Japan.

Thanks

Last edited by Chrispayneable; 06-03-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Chrispayneable
You sir are looking for a 250cc sports bike! And though I've never been to Japan, almost ever bike I've spent time on as been from there.

Two great bikes are the Kawasaki ninja 250 and the Honda CBR 250. Both will go faster than you will need to and are very forgiving.

both bikes in the US are around $4k new but if the secondary market is anything like it is here, you should be able to hit your under $3k price point while still getting a nice/clean late 2000's model.

However: before you start riding. Buy good gear. Helmet, jacket, gloves and boots at minimum. And take some sort of class! I don't know what that would be in Japan, but please, please, please do. Your riding experience will be forever better for taking a class. Also your survival probability goes up a lot!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Strength and Honor

I believe the models available to you will be different than those available to us here in the States. Find any sportbike riding communities in Japan? that's where I'd start, with an online search. Or hit up a larger bike shop and ask the guys behind the counter.

There is no name for people who like the more aggressive riding position, other than sportbikers. I, too, am not as excited on a bike where I'm not right up on the windshield with my chest inches from the tank.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode