Getting my first bike, advice? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Getting my first bike, advice?

Hey there, I'm going to be buying my first bike here soon, been looking at used bikes for sale for weeks now. Not sure yet exactly which model it's gonna be, but I'm definitely getting a sportbike.

However, sportbikes seem ridiculously uncomfortable with the way you lean over them, or atleast that's what everyone tells me. I'm going tomorrow to a dealership where I can sit on a variety of bikes, but that isn't going to tell me what I want to know.

I plan on using this bike to commute to work in good weather and to zip around town on the weekends. My commute to work though, is an hour each way. Would a sportbike like a gixxer or zx-r 600 have my back screaming after an hour of riding, or are they a bit more comfortable than people make them out to be? I know they aren't as comfy as cruisers, but they can't exactly be torture devices right?

Also, I've been looking to buy a 600cc bike for my first, no way I'm wasting money on a 250 that I'll get bored with after a month. And yes, I know to respect their power, especially after my dad advised me to take out a life insurance policy after I buy a bike. (He's been riding for many years.)

However, I found a 1994 YZF750 for $2,400 obo with 20k miles, and I've heard they're a bit rare and therefore unique. It's a bit more cc than I had planned on getting, but I can grow into it. I've heard they're great bikes and all, but this one has a custom paintjob and the seller is looking for cash only. Would either of those two details by themselves raise any red flags to you guys? I've yet to go look at it but it seems to be in immaculate condition.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:44 AM

havik
Because you're looking for a commuter, I'd read reviews and look for the term "neutral riding position". I find bikes like these (Yamaha FZ series, Kawai 650's, Kawai 250's to name a few) to be even more comfortable than most cruisers and pretty newbie friendly. This type of bike is mostly going to be a post 2003(ish) buy though.

If you can't afford this, I'd suggest looking to the early 1980's Japanese naked sports. (Suzuki 550, Honda Ascot, '78 yamaha 750... so many of these great bikes.) These bikes are very neutral, very capable and you WILL learn how to do some wrenching.

a bike's displacement (cc) doesn't have as much to do with buying the right bike for you as most people think. the fact that the yzf is a 750 means jack if it's uncomfortable or too big or too small. Any decent rider on a 500 can smoke a bad one on a liter-bike if you put em in the twisties. Plus it's pretty hilarious when you out-ride some cock-sure newbie on his "superior" ride.

Also, PLEASE hear me and don't be too insulted... saying things like "no way I'm wasting money on a 250 that I'll get bored with after a month" is a sure sign that you are not ready for a middleweight modern sport. People who start too big generally never learn how to ride properly because they never had to actually learn on something with reasonable capability.

You are not special. You are just as squishy as the next guy, and if you're any good at riding a motorcycle, you won't reach a Ninja 250's limit (truely) for years.

Peace. and be safe!

Last edited by LockeClone; 06-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Strength and Honor

If you're dead set on 600 vs 500, then start with the Suzuki SV650S or Kawi 650R or a Ducati monster.

The race replica bikes (like the GSXR600) are absolutely designed with an aggressive seating style. I ride a Kawasaki ZX-6R to work daily (~100mi round trip). It takes practice, strength, and experience, which is why very few veterans think a race replica should even be an option for a new rider. But America's all about freedoms.

With aggressive seating style, you depend on your legs and back, NOT your arms. Using your arms to hold you up is going to cost you eventually by increasing hte odds you'll lose control. I won't go into details here but I can always tell an inexperienced rider by looking at whether they have straight arms on the bars or bent ones.

The three bikes I listed are fantastic bikes, new rider or not, and have a long list of possible modifications. Especially the SV650 which has been around for a long time and has a large community.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode