Looking for a beginner bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a beginner bike

Hey guys, trying to decide what will be best for me. Brief history of my riding.

A few hundred miles, maybe about 500, on my first bike, a Ninja 500.

1400 miles on a Daytona 675, resulting loss of control and crash.

About 1500 miles on an R6, no incident.

Rode a few others, but nothing long enough to mention.

I am looking for something that I can manage as a newb and really learn on, not just ride. I want to learn to ride properly. And safely of course.

I have been considering the following bikes

-Ninja 250r
-CBR250r
-Ninja 500
-Ninja 650
-SV 650

I would like a bigger bike, something a bit quicker, but does that defeat the purpose of my decision to move down to a more manageable bike? Obviously the 650s are nothing compared to the super sports, but surely they are far beyond the 250's in terms of ease of riding and forgiveness should a mistake occur...

Basically just looking for input on which bikes will be good to really learn to ride on- and if the larger bikes may be a bit too much with my little bit of experience.

Thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you've done your homework.

I'd look really hard at the SV. They are great all around bikes, and have enough get up and go to get out of the way when need be, but not overwhelm you with power in your attempt to learn more about riding. And although the suspension parts don't lend themselves to much adjustment, they chassis is pretty well sorted resulting in a very good handling machine. Can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM

Any bike will work for you. However, it has to be light then also make considerations on the tires. Tires are always tools for stability and your beginner bike has to be fitted with the best tires as well as breaking system. These are key and you need to consider as a beginner...

Last edited by snikrepn; 05-02-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode