Yet another first bike buyer needing advice - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Yet another first bike buyer needing advice

Hey guys,
So a little background. I'm a 20 year old student at St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia Pa. Lifelong dream of mine to buy a sportbike, I used to ride 50 and 100 cc dirtbikes as a kid. I need a bike that is good with this terrible city traffic, but is capable of having fun on my hour and a half highway rides home and to my girlfriend's house. That being said, I've done my research and I've been looking for a few options. I'm running my own house painting business in Philly over the summer so I'm finally going to have a bunch of extra spending money. I'm not trying to go crazy though, looking to spend around 3500 or so. I can go higher, I can go lower, but thats my general spending preference.
I know everyone and their mother says that I should get a ninja 250 for my first bike, but I'll be honest, I feel like I could get bored. My dad's a sergeant and I've already gotten out of my fair share of speeding tickets in my car, so I'm not too afraid of opening her up every once in awhile
I'm also not an idiot though. I will spend every possible moment with this bike for my first couple months. I've dreamed about owning my own for awhile, so trust me, I plan on getting all the experience I can before I start acting stupid lol.

Now the fun part, I've listed the bikes I'm most interested in getting. Keep in mind I will NOT buy new, I'm only looking to buy USED, and I'm trying to spend around 3500. Also, keep in mind that this will be my first bike, so although I want something a little more powerful than the Ninja 250, I don't feel comfortable buying the Ninja ZX-14 i saw posted on craigslist for 2700.

My top choices so far:
- Kawasaki Ninja 500r
- Kawasaki Ninja 650r
- Suzuki SV650(s)
- Yamaha FZ6
I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Are these good first bikes for me? *Forgot to mention-- I'm 5'11 and I'm about 185. So I'm not big by any means, but I'm not a jockey either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
All of the bikes you listed should be ok for you since you know the basics of riding. Have you also left some extra money for gear? You can go down just as easy on a 250 as a ZX-14, so Helmet+Jacket+Gloves are the minimum you should be wearing. Boots are a good idea too, although they don't necessarily have to be motorcycle-specific as long as they offer decent ankle support.

I think you're on the right track. I was expecting to see GSX-*, ZX-*, and CBR-* when I opened this thread, so I am pleasantly surprised. Good luck with your search, and welcome

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I keep changing my mind... First, after checking out more pictures and doing more research, I've completely decided against the SV650. lol no offense to SV650 owners but that thing is hideous, I dont know what I was thinking. I love love love the FZ6 but its hard to find one in my price range, even on craigslist. I found a 06 FZ6 on CL for 3500 but the guy downed it and the fairings are scratched... Not completely against that, but still, I want my bike to look good, not scratched on one complete side of the bike. Still in love with 650r's and 500r's but I noticed some years look cool, others look stupid... Which is completely my opinion. Be realistic with me though, should I expect to spend more than 3500 to find a good looking, used 650r, 500r, or FZ6? (especially FZ6, the more I look at them the more I love em)

*Edit*- What do you guys feel about R6's? I found a great one online for cheap and the guys willing to sell it to me, but I'm worried it might be a little too powerful. If I'm responsible and take it slow, is this ok for my first bike or should I look for something else... The only reason I ask is because if I get a 650r, YZ6, or this R6, I'd keep it for a while. I might even throw some money into it, idk. Be honest though all you guys who have ridden R6's before. Is this alright for my first bike or is it too powerful for someone who hasnt been riding for a while. I trust your advice over my own judgement.

Last edited by FuzionAddict46; 05-23-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode