Getting back to riding after a long break - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Getting back to riding after a long break

Okay, so strictly speaking I'm not exactly new to riding, but it feels like I am! I started riding 7 years ago. I rode for 3 seasons before life got in the way and the only riding I did was in my dreams. Now four seasons later, I'm finally ready to get back in the saddle and I feel so out of the loop. I have a couple questions I'm hoping to get some help with...

For those of you who got back into riding after a long break, what tips and advice do you have for me? What sorts of preparations or practice did you do before you felt comfortable, confident, and safe riding again? Was it like starting all over again?

My helmet is about 5.5 years old now. It's a really nice Suomy Spec 1R, perfectly broken in, and so light and comfy. I googled "motorcycle helmet lifespan" and pretty much everything I read says helmets should be replaced about every 5 years. Is this true even if my helmet has been sitting in a closet for the past four years?

A friend of mine has expressed interest in learning how to ride. I know she wants to learn on my beater bike, and she's been driving stick for years, but she has no gear and no experience on two wheels. Would I be a horrid friend if I told her I don't feel comfortable showing her the ropes, even if it's in an empty parking lot? It wouldn't be the end of the world if the bike gets trashed, but I would never forgive myself if she ran into a lamp post sans helmet. Am I being too paranoid about this?

Thanks for your wisdom!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Strength and Honor

First, the lid should be fine. I've never been one for believing in replacing them overly often and generally find I crash before having to really consider it

Second, why don't both of you sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course? Education is exactly what they do and it usually has insurance offsets. I wouldn't let a non-licensed rider take mine anywhere, excepting spicerke Or that lug of a hubby. There's a ton of liability risk there, besides the possible loss of your baby and injury/death of someone who doesn't know better.

Anyway, welcome back to the fun.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode