Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice...

Greetings all. I'm 28, 5'5", 150lb, and looking to get my first sportbike. I don't have any prior riding experience. A buddy has a GSXR 600 and I'd like to think I would upgrade to one someday. I am currently enrolled in an MSF course which I plan to complete within the month.

I've done quite a bit of research and decided that a gixxer6 would be a little too motto for me to start off with and I've decided to take it slow, be humble, and master the basics first. I plan to buy new as I prefer the peace of mind that it offers and I'd prefer to finance rather than pay a big lump sum on a used bike. I plan on using this as my primary mode of transportation and will probably do quite a bit of freeway driving (at least 80%). I plan on keeping this bike for at least 3 years.

For my needs, much of the research seemed to point me towards a Ninja 250R or 650R/SV650SF. Could you guys advise me towards one or another?

My main concerns are:

Will the 250R be able to handle the freeways well? I typically do 75-80mph if traffic is moving fast, 70 if not.

Will I be satisfied riding the 250R for 3 years or will I outgrow that quickly? I'm concerned about not having the power to speed out of trouble when needed.

Will the 250R handle the occasional longer freeway trips (400 miles from Socal to the Bay Area)? Or will the 650R/SV650SF handle that better?

Will a 650R/SV650SF be a good beginner bike? Is it more forgiving than a gixxer6 to learn on?

Does the 650R/SV650SF handle wind better than the 250R or is it about the same?

While I was originally planning on going for a 250R, evaluating my needs of 3 years use and a lot of freeway riding has me now leaning towards a 650R/SV650SF. My main concern with the 650R/SV650SF is whether it is not a good beginner bike and more comparable in that respect to a gixxer6.

I appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Strength and Honor

I have always preferred the 650R/SV650 for people who have matured beyond a certain point. Given the bits you've written I'd say its a good angle for you and ultimately could be the ideal bike. Its much more streetworthy than any supersport.

I tool around on my wife's white (and pink!) 650R when I want a relaxing ride with the option of smoking nearly everything around me. My Kawi ZX-6R is reserved for those days when I want to risk law enforcement intervention or I'm going to explore some back roads.

All that said, take the course first to ensure its the right thing for you. Then you can shop bikes and gear at the same time and perhaps get a good deal. You're lucky enough to be in a state that has many good gear shops, unlike much of the rest of the US. Leverage the purchase of your bike with helmet, gloves (with wrist strap), jacket, and perhaps boots and pants. Depending on your use of it might influence your choice of pants. Boots shouldn't have laces to avoid getting them caught up in your fast-moving chain, obviously. Pants-wise there are jeans specifically made for riders to avoid getting road rash in your first down. I've always been a leather fan but then I can change at work into my business-wear.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Lots of people overlook the Ninja 500ex/500r. Great first bike. 250 is not a freeway friendly bike. I heard at 60 mph they are almost redlined. Plus most guys outgrow them in a few months tops.

Last edited by Therion; 05-10-2011 at 07:12 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 AM

Look for a sportbike that will cover all bases,well stick with a jap bike around 600 cc not over ten years old.and get a buyers check if possiable.Good luck

Last edited by kanwisch; 07-24-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: No spam.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Hey guys, I too am in the same boat as the OP... No prior riding experience, and I want to be on a 600 supersport badly. I've been told by my friends who started on a 600 supersport that I will be ok. But they don't ride aggressively or on tracks, which is what i want to do, and i feel my skills will pickup quickly on a 500f or 650f or similar bike. I've heard from more experienced middleaged riders that I should opt out of the 600 supersport and go for a honda cbr500f.

Would I be ok with a twin 650 sport? Like a SV650? Or should i go for a smaller engine size, say around 500cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode