need help choosing a bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

need help choosing a bike

hi all, I'm gonna start off by saying I'm completely new to bikes. I've seen countless threads about "which bike should I get, x or y?" that's not so much my question. I'm thinking I want a 600, but not sure which to go with... Yamaha, Kawi, Honda or Suzuki. Is anybody on here especially tall to vouch for bike fit? I'm 6'5 240lbs, with a 36" inseam. What bikes are generally better for taller guys? I like the looks of the gixxer, but I haven't had many opportunities to sit on any bikes. Also I'll be going with a used bike since I know damn near everyone lays down the bike at some point.

any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

At your size the 600s are going to seem a bit small no matter what. The manufacturers have begun putting stiffer springs in them, but ergonomically they will seem a bit small. My track bike is a 05 model R6, and I've made a lot of changes in the chassis to accommodate my weight (pretty close to yours).

That being said, the 600s are a great choice nowadays because of the power they put out, and the chassis' are phenomenally well handling. With the comparisons being so close, it's really a matter of sitting on each, and finding a color and features that appeal to you. Even on the track they are all so close to each other, it's typically the rider that makes the ultimate difference.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 AM

I am 6'2" and over 2225 and have been able to ride my buddies 2007 CBR600RR with no problem at all. The springs are stiff enough to handle my weight and the bike is comfortable. My personal bikes are a 2000 Honda RC51 which is definitely made for a bigger rider. I also have a 2007 GSXR1000 however I would not recommend this bike for a starter bike at all. The RC51 is a perfect fit for a larger rider so you might want to check one out if you can find one.

Regards,

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 AM

Sorry, over 225. 2225 would be pushing it

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Those RC's are great bikes. I wouldn't mind having one of those.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode