What are some good 600cc starter bikes? HELP PLEASE - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Question What are some good 600cc starter bikes? HELP PLEASE

Hi yall,

My name pretty much tells it all. I finished my MSF course a few months ago, and i am currently looking for a used bike here in San Diego.

I would b really appreciated if you guys would list some of the good 600cc beginner bikes for me.

Nowadays, USED 2009-2010 kawi ninja 250 is always as expensive as the 600cc (is it bc they know there is so much demand on the market?) Anyway, that is why i wanna know if there are some bikes out there for me to learn on. By the way, i care a lot about and i respect the street. So yeah, help me out!!! THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 AM

The sticky threads at the top of the new rider area are good places to find more info.

You've discovered the major drawback for the new body style Ninja 250 they're very popular, and many people ask more than MSRP for a used bike. You should look at bikes like the Ninja 500 and 650, the Suzuki SV650, Yamaha FZ6 and FZ6R. Basically you need a bike that is more forgiving than the supersport 600's. When you have some experience trade up to a more aggressive bike if that's your style. Don't fall for the "you'll outgrow your bike" faulty logic. Nobody keeps his first bike.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 05:02 AM

Look for something older like early '90s.
A Honda Nighhawk 750. As a beginner if
something bad happens you aren't out a
whole lot of money. Craigslist is a good
place to look. The seat height for this bike
is such that your feet will be flat on the ground
and it doesn't have a radical riding position.
It is a very comfortable riding bike.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeney View Post
the sticky threads at the top of the new rider area are good places to find more info.

You've discovered the major drawback for the new body style ninja 250 they're very popular, and many people ask more than msrp for a used bike. You should look at bikes like the ninja 500 and 650, the suzuki sv650, yamaha fz6 and fz6r. Basically you need a bike that is more forgiving than the supersport 600's. When you have some experience trade up to a more aggressive bike if that's your style. Don't fall for the "you'll outgrow your bike" faulty logic. Nobody keeps his first bike.
What he said
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM

Older than '09 250 ninja can be had for cheaper, ride it tell you know that you can handle it in a bad situation then ride it some more. One saftey corse does not give you the experiance to handle a high powered bike like the 600's. It takes a lot of seat time on any bike to develope the skills to deal with cars pulling out infront of you or if you hit a slick spot or if you go into a turn to hot on cold rubber. The 250 will be much more forgiving when your learning these things first hand versus having a superbike that will cause you more problems if handled wrong in these and other situation. As you can see the 250's hold value so get it ride it, then ride it more, then try a bigger one but even then it will be a new ball game to you. Your reaction time will have to be even faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode