Trying to decide on a bike... any suggestions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Trying to decide on a bike... any suggestions?

Hi Guys.

Just a little background. I am 6'3' 220lbs.

I am trying to decide on the best bike for me. I am very compotent on any kind of bike. I have ridden everything from cruisers to a ninja 250 to a Yamaha R6.

My main purpose for getting a bike is fun... I want to get into twisties and even hit up the track.

My other purpose would be commuting and driving down to DC to visit friends there on the weekend from Jersey.

As I have said I have ridden both a R6 and a Ninja 250..

The R6 felt much better to me. I loved the style of seating, it felt much more engaging and just plain fun to maneuver on.

I am now trying to decide on what kind of bike to get.

I've heard long trips in the racing position of the R6 can be a PITA.. so I was considering something like a Ninja 650rr... but that seems to have the same seating as the Ninja 250...

How well would something in the style of a Ninja 650 perform on a track? In twisties? Can you alter the handlebars/seat to get more of a supersport seating ?

I still feel like I can sit pretty nuetral on an R6 with the option of leaning forward where as on the Ninja 250 I felt like I was on a cruiser... which I did not particularly enjoy.

I guess what I am looking for is a supersport bike for having fun on canyon roads and the track that is also nice for commuting..... which I doubt even exists...however any suggestions, especially other bikes I might look at, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Strength and Honor

Your comments on seating seem contradictory. Either a supersport's seating is comfortable for long-hauls or it isn't, so you probably need to decide which is the case for you first. Then go from there.

Others like the Kawi 650 are the Suzuki SV650S, and Yamaha FZ6R. All are V-4's so they have powerbands better suited to the street than a supersport. But all have similar seating, with a more upright style.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:57 PM

Which Bike

I wholeheartedly endorse kanwisch's suggestion on the Ninja 650R, SV-650S, and FZ6R. They are all comparable in terms of power, comfort, and price. (note though that the Ninja has a parallel twin engine, the SV has a V-twin, and the FZ6R is an inline 4)

If you really want to go to the track with the bike, the SV is the best choice simply because it is a very popular track bike and there is TONS of aftermarket support for that model.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Given that this thread is in the New Riders section, steer clear of the R6. You might think you can handle a Supersport, but the reality is that they'll spit you off before you can even comprehend what's happening. The way the power comes on, the brakes and steering geometry are so vastly different from the other three bikes mentioned.

Go with the SV. As mentioned, many people are using them as track bikes, so there's a huge aftermarket, er, market.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

I am also 6'5" and about 220 pounds, I used to ride a Suzuki GS500F which was a great bike as it looked good with full fairings but was learner legal.

I am from Australia and we have to abide by a ruling that allows bike up to and including 750cc but have a power to weight ratio below a certain level. I am not sure what the legislation is where you live, but get as big a bike as you can find.

Last edited by DanQ; 08-30-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode