new rider progress report - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

new rider progress report

Well after 35 miles of figure 8s , hard braking from 30 mph , i decided to go onto the main road (not a real main road a back road just a main road compared to what i have been practicing on ) i decided to just go to another dead end side street maybe a 1/2 mile down .

The first thing i noticed was the enjoyment that hit me at 45mph , (fastest i have been on my bike so far ) i was little uncomfortable with leaning at that speed but i knew i had to, which im prettysure will go away after i gain more confidence in the bike i turned onto the road slowed to the speed limit of 15mph and road down a bit and turned around and came back the other way , as i turned onto the main road once again a car got behind me i found i got nervous and caught myself watching the car in my mirror more than i think i should have, as i turned onto my little road i made sure to use my blinker along with a hand signal as well , that was a pointer from my dad.

I went back down my rode made another u turn and went back to the main road , amd repeated the process over and over for about 30 mins until my hand started to go numb .

Now for my problems , i had a hard time canceling blinkers , a few times i down shifted too early one time it upset the rear of the bike , and like i said earlier the car that came up from behind , other than that i fell im progressing nicely still no commuting/errands or anyhting like that until msf course in july and i still will be limiting that and taking it slow probably will have my dad ride the bike to a parking lot for me so i can practice braking and cornering with more room , any tips or tricks or comments welcome thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Sounds like you're off to a great (and safe start).
What do you mean about having a hard time canceling the blinkers? Like you're just not remembering?

As far as downshifting, you'll get the hang of it, but it sounds like you might have been a little high in the revs to begin with if it actually upset the rear of the bike.

Finally, cage drivers don't have any respect for riders, and you constantly have to watch out for them from all directions. The most important thing to remember when you have one behind you is that you can stop a hell of a lot sooner than they can, and they like to not pay attention, so when slowing down, brake light and early (so they can see your brake light before you actually start slowing down). Hand signals were a good pointer from your old man as well.

Good luck, and keep the shiny side up.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode